SeaFox
Aug 23, 06:51 PM
100 Million from Apple doesn't sound like very much. For the cash Apple gets the stupid lawsuits dropped, which will ease investor fears. I wouldn't say Creative won anything. They got the money and are going to start making iPod accessories. Sounds like they're going to be dropping their own digital players soon.
If anything Apple just provided seed money for a new accessories maker.
If anything Apple just provided seed money for a new accessories maker.
OS X Dude
May 3, 10:49 AM
The whole point of Thunderbolt is you can daisy-chain devices (up to 6 I think), so one port goes a long way.
Besides the three-monitor doohickery on the 27", I struggle to see why 95% of people would need two ports often. But still, nice to have :)
Besides the three-monitor doohickery on the 27", I struggle to see why 95% of people would need two ports often. But still, nice to have :)
Funkymonk
Apr 22, 03:09 PM
would be sweet if they lowered the price.
Lollypop
Aug 29, 01:08 AM
The current PB look has been around since 2001. I think the alumin look is starting to look soooo 2000. Were heading toward time to move on with a new chip and a new look.
I still like the look of the PB, a few refinements would be welcome... mag latch, firewire 800 on the 15inch model. I dont think apple will do a complete redesign for a "small" upgrade like the C2D, but they can take the chance to polish their offerings a bit more.
I still like the look of the PB, a few refinements would be welcome... mag latch, firewire 800 on the 15inch model. I dont think apple will do a complete redesign for a "small" upgrade like the C2D, but they can take the chance to polish their offerings a bit more.
flopticalcube
Apr 19, 10:08 PM
Keep listening to corporate run media which lies and doesn't tell the whole story.. my friend, unemployment and the economy aren't getting any better.. in fact, very soon it will collapse.. as inflation starts to settle in.. and if you wanna know the truth, look at BBC and other non-corporate run media for the truth. I know in my home state its like 7.9 percent and most of the jobs are health care and IT - no industrial, no customer service, nothing else.
See the roll eyes after his post, I think he was being sarcastic.
See the roll eyes after his post, I think he was being sarcastic.
LarryC
Apr 22, 06:51 PM
AMD would be producing better CPU's via increased profits if Apple chose them over Intel from the start.
I always thought that if Apple ever went with something other than PPC that they would go with AMD. Better late than never.
I always thought that if Apple ever went with something other than PPC that they would go with AMD. Better late than never.
Kaibelf
Apr 19, 10:42 AM
So what? They're already getting sued by Apple, so what's another lawsuit? Point is, contract breach or not, Samsung could cripple Apple's whole ecosystem within days by halting all processor shipments. Apple makes the vast majority on iDevices and this would kill Apple's whole economic model. And this doesn't even account for Samsungs components that go into their Macs. As a result, Apple would have no hardware to sell. They would dip into their treasure chest. It could be devastating to Apple.
And then Apple would ruin Samsung, cratering them with winning lawsuits. Also, Samsung would lose their reputation in the supply chain as well as their credibility, and it would likely damage the Korean economy as a whole, and South Korea politically as well. You're talking about one company causing problems for tens of millions of consumers, and a mountain of negative news. If Samsung wanted to be bankrupted within a decade, this would be a way, for sure.
And then Apple would ruin Samsung, cratering them with winning lawsuits. Also, Samsung would lose their reputation in the supply chain as well as their credibility, and it would likely damage the Korean economy as a whole, and South Korea politically as well. You're talking about one company causing problems for tens of millions of consumers, and a mountain of negative news. If Samsung wanted to be bankrupted within a decade, this would be a way, for sure.
nomik2
Mar 29, 12:03 PM
Seems believable...all those people that bought Nokia phones obviously did not care that Symbian was outdated. Why will they not buy Nokia with a much modern OS under the hood?
rdowns
Apr 25, 08:57 AM
I was going to ask what the D stands for but I guess that's kind of obvious.
ciTiger
May 3, 10:58 AM
I want dual out screen on the MBP =(:(
medster17
Apr 28, 03:30 PM
Congratulations to apple, eventually this day had to come. Microsoft has been slacking off in the past few years and this will make them see the larger picture.
Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone
spicyapple
Aug 23, 05:25 PM
Creative declares 'war' on Apple's iPod (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/18/creative_vs_apple/)
Digital music player maker Creative has pledged to spend $100m to out-market Apple in a bid to take the market away from the iPod.
And not just Apple. Speaking in Singapore this week, Creative CEO Sim Wong Hoo bullishly pronounced: "I'm planning to spend some serious money - I intend to out-market everyone."
I guess Creative just broke even. :)
In other news, Creative has been granted permission to use the "Made For iPod" logo on their upcoming line of iPod accessories.
Digital music player maker Creative has pledged to spend $100m to out-market Apple in a bid to take the market away from the iPod.
And not just Apple. Speaking in Singapore this week, Creative CEO Sim Wong Hoo bullishly pronounced: "I'm planning to spend some serious money - I intend to out-market everyone."
I guess Creative just broke even. :)
In other news, Creative has been granted permission to use the "Made For iPod" logo on their upcoming line of iPod accessories.
Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 14, 08:17 AM
Cross the 8GB black iPod nano with a decent phone, add bluetooth earphones, and maybe even put in GPS, and we have a winner.
Exactly! Just how hard can that be??? All the technology has been available for years. I just dont get what is holding back Apple.
Exactly! Just how hard can that be??? All the technology has been available for years. I just dont get what is holding back Apple.
Mattsasa
Apr 30, 06:47 PM
Glad, hoping for a redesign, but probably unlikely, also would be great to see the yellow tint issue resolved..
Yea I don't think I redesign is likely, Apple likes the current one still, and it is pretty nice IMO
Yea I don't think I redesign is likely, Apple likes the current one still, and it is pretty nice IMO
SeaFox
Sep 26, 03:56 PM
Darn, was really hoping for T Mobile compatibility. Oh well, guess this was pretty expected. What about all the CDMA customers? After 6 months? Never? :confused:
Well, generally all GSM phones support the 1900mhz band, there is just the catch where European models support 900mhz, while US bound one support 850mhz (Cingular). So it's very likely the iPhone will be usuable on T-Mobile's network if unlocked. The catch is you'll have to buy it at retail price from a Cingular dealer, and get it unlocked (which Cingular might not be willing to do).
As long as the interface is not Cingular branded (like the CIngular Nokia 6030 I use on T-Mobile's network right now), and there's no branding on the phone itself, I might be willing to do that.
YES! Finally, I reap benefits from being with Cingular!!!! :D
What do you mean "finally"? Being the largest U.S. provider means you have always reaped the benefits. I cannot count the number of times I've been eagerly awaiting a certain model phone to come out and when it come here, it's always on Cingular and nobody else.
Well, generally all GSM phones support the 1900mhz band, there is just the catch where European models support 900mhz, while US bound one support 850mhz (Cingular). So it's very likely the iPhone will be usuable on T-Mobile's network if unlocked. The catch is you'll have to buy it at retail price from a Cingular dealer, and get it unlocked (which Cingular might not be willing to do).
As long as the interface is not Cingular branded (like the CIngular Nokia 6030 I use on T-Mobile's network right now), and there's no branding on the phone itself, I might be willing to do that.
YES! Finally, I reap benefits from being with Cingular!!!! :D
What do you mean "finally"? Being the largest U.S. provider means you have always reaped the benefits. I cannot count the number of times I've been eagerly awaiting a certain model phone to come out and when it come here, it's always on Cingular and nobody else.
kiljoy616
Apr 11, 02:37 AM
Unlikely - this would require the new private key be embedded in the firmware update package, which would defeat the purpose of replacing the old key.
This is a fundamental issue with DRM solutions - you, as the consumer, have to hold the private key. They (Apple) can obfuscate where that key is, but in the end it has to be accessible in some manner. It's the same thing with iTunes DRM. If someone cares enough, they can almost certainly retrieve the private key (which is how Requiem works).
I'm guessing Apple may make some half-hearted move or another; but I doubt they care all that much.
What could they loose, but I know there be more demand for apple products if more companies jump on the band wagon. Like TV with Airplay built in, nice. :D
This is a fundamental issue with DRM solutions - you, as the consumer, have to hold the private key. They (Apple) can obfuscate where that key is, but in the end it has to be accessible in some manner. It's the same thing with iTunes DRM. If someone cares enough, they can almost certainly retrieve the private key (which is how Requiem works).
I'm guessing Apple may make some half-hearted move or another; but I doubt they care all that much.
What could they loose, but I know there be more demand for apple products if more companies jump on the band wagon. Like TV with Airplay built in, nice. :D
vrillusions
Mar 23, 04:41 PM
Funny, I just read in USA Today I beleve it was, that law enforcement officers actually prefer people use the apps...saying that even if the app alerts the driver and they change their driving habits for a short time, say, slowing them down from speeding for a few miles...it's a good thing, and they encourage it.
Besides...who the h*ll is the government to tell Apple what they can and cannot do with their business? Regulations are one thing...such as safety regs and such...those are needed, but Christ...this is over the line.
This has been reported on multiple times. Even before apps certain stretches of road are well known for the speed traps they (usually) have. The result is people always slow down (annoyingly to like 10 mph UNDER the speed limit) just in case the cop is there. Same thing with the apps. People go "Oh no! a speed trap!" and slow down. Since the purpose of the speed traps is to enforce speed limits it still works for them, they just don't get any money for the tickets.
Besides...who the h*ll is the government to tell Apple what they can and cannot do with their business? Regulations are one thing...such as safety regs and such...those are needed, but Christ...this is over the line.
This has been reported on multiple times. Even before apps certain stretches of road are well known for the speed traps they (usually) have. The result is people always slow down (annoyingly to like 10 mph UNDER the speed limit) just in case the cop is there. Same thing with the apps. People go "Oh no! a speed trap!" and slow down. Since the purpose of the speed traps is to enforce speed limits it still works for them, they just don't get any money for the tickets.
AppleScruff1
Apr 25, 02:07 AM
The MBP 13" is not quite the bang up job. It got a GPU downgrade and the benchmarks show it. The MBA won't be any different. There's no doubt about it, if you're looking for a GPU upgrade, go look elsewhere.
It's just the reality Intel forced onto us, why does anyone want to live in denial ?
For 99% of the market, the integrated graphics are fine. The majority of consumers don't read tech sites and are happy with the performance. The typical pc buyer doesn't know what a benchmark is. In almost every Apple vs Winodws pc argument on this and every other Mac site, the Mac fans without fail say specs don't matter. If you're a gamer, you'll notice the performance hit. To the million plus people who will buy the next model it won't make any difference.
It's just the reality Intel forced onto us, why does anyone want to live in denial ?
For 99% of the market, the integrated graphics are fine. The majority of consumers don't read tech sites and are happy with the performance. The typical pc buyer doesn't know what a benchmark is. In almost every Apple vs Winodws pc argument on this and every other Mac site, the Mac fans without fail say specs don't matter. If you're a gamer, you'll notice the performance hit. To the million plus people who will buy the next model it won't make any difference.
Tones2
Apr 22, 02:30 PM
Look at netflix and hulu plus. if you can get access to TONS of content through a subscription what is the point of owning an actual physical copy if you can watch it from your queue online on your device?
Have you ever actually watched Netflix or Hulu on a iPhone or iPad over 3G? It totally sucks - not even close to what it looks like when stored locally, especially on the iPad.
Tony
Have you ever actually watched Netflix or Hulu on a iPhone or iPad over 3G? It totally sucks - not even close to what it looks like when stored locally, especially on the iPad.
Tony
vand0576
Sep 5, 11:32 AM
No one else has yet mentioned that the Airport Extreme is currently reflecting a 1-3 week shipping period (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=B842E400&nplm=M8799LL%2FA), while the Airport Express (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=7D88DA55&nplm=M9470LL%2FA) still says it will ship within 24 hours on the Apple Store Online. It would seem that it is the Extreme and not the Express to be getting the update.
babyj
Sep 2, 06:51 PM
It had better do. The British public (those who pay license, which like 99% do) has the legal right to every single piece of footage, news story, radio recording etc. etc. the BBC has ever produced, but we have access to about 1% of it.
It's a big point of controversy here. Partly it's been due to technology limitations, but pretty soon there'll be no excuse, and the BBC should be right off the bat finding new ways to deliver what belongs to us.
I don't think it is that simple. There are obstacles to the BBC offering more material in digital formats, if they could they would. Plus they already offer far more than any other tv companies in the UK at present.
Everyone seems far too pre-occupied with the USA, forgetting the fact that there is very little (ie none) tv content available to users outside the USA. I'd of thought addressing that would be higher on the list of priorities than offering movies to the USA, especially as there isn't any real opposition for the movie market at present.
More important in the UK though is the Premiership (the top football/soccer league in the UK) - if they started offering complete games for download at say £2 each they'd probably sell out of iPods within a week. It worked for Sky and I'm sure it would for Apple / iTunes.
A bigger threat is Microsofts new 'ipod killer', so I'd be surprised if there isn't a major make over for the iPod range soon - definetly in time for Christmas. No doubt it will be better for watching video, with a movie store following later.
I don't see upgrades to the existing Mini/iMac/Macbook range being that news worthy. Nor is an enhanced home media server type offering likely to be coming soon, I'd of thought that will come in Leopard.
It's a big point of controversy here. Partly it's been due to technology limitations, but pretty soon there'll be no excuse, and the BBC should be right off the bat finding new ways to deliver what belongs to us.
I don't think it is that simple. There are obstacles to the BBC offering more material in digital formats, if they could they would. Plus they already offer far more than any other tv companies in the UK at present.
Everyone seems far too pre-occupied with the USA, forgetting the fact that there is very little (ie none) tv content available to users outside the USA. I'd of thought addressing that would be higher on the list of priorities than offering movies to the USA, especially as there isn't any real opposition for the movie market at present.
More important in the UK though is the Premiership (the top football/soccer league in the UK) - if they started offering complete games for download at say £2 each they'd probably sell out of iPods within a week. It worked for Sky and I'm sure it would for Apple / iTunes.
A bigger threat is Microsofts new 'ipod killer', so I'd be surprised if there isn't a major make over for the iPod range soon - definetly in time for Christmas. No doubt it will be better for watching video, with a movie store following later.
I don't see upgrades to the existing Mini/iMac/Macbook range being that news worthy. Nor is an enhanced home media server type offering likely to be coming soon, I'd of thought that will come in Leopard.
nagromme
Oct 12, 03:00 PM
I'm all for AIDS prevention, but there's not a single aspect of this story that doesn't strike me as crass and exploitative.
Agreed. Apple should stop being so exploitative and give nothing! :o
Apple's not the first in the RED program. Maybe the program HAS done some good and thus is continuing?
Here's a challenge. How about everyone here who has an iPod gives $10 or equivalent to this charity?
Hmmm.... a matching program would be cool--it could all be done electronically, like when Apple has had disaster charity giving built right into iTMS.
So when you buy a Red iPod, you pick the price :) If you pay more than normal, Apple will match your donation, and will pay a minimum of 10% regardless.
Agreed. Apple should stop being so exploitative and give nothing! :o
Apple's not the first in the RED program. Maybe the program HAS done some good and thus is continuing?
Here's a challenge. How about everyone here who has an iPod gives $10 or equivalent to this charity?
Hmmm.... a matching program would be cool--it could all be done electronically, like when Apple has had disaster charity giving built right into iTMS.
So when you buy a Red iPod, you pick the price :) If you pay more than normal, Apple will match your donation, and will pay a minimum of 10% regardless.
VPrime
Apr 30, 05:11 PM
He was talking about the fact that "Cloud storage" uses physical media. ;) The cloud is not some kind of magic thing, it's just a bunch of physical disks and servers. And those disks and servers aren't anything special either, they are your typical server computer and the disks are also your standard server based disk, grouped up in a volume manager over massive raid arrays.
Oh right, didn't think that part through.... Its the future everthing is magic! :D
Oh right, didn't think that part through.... Its the future everthing is magic! :D
Gem�tlichkeit
Apr 22, 08:24 PM
Backlit keyboard on it and I am in. Perfect form factor and feature set for what I do all day every day. And less weight in my bag
Currently have the 13 mbp and would love to get a MBA to lighten my load.
I've heard this request from a lot of people on this forum. Is this really a deal breaker for you? the screen isn't bright enough at night to illuminate the keys that you need a separate source of light?
Currently have the 13 mbp and would love to get a MBA to lighten my load.
I've heard this request from a lot of people on this forum. Is this really a deal breaker for you? the screen isn't bright enough at night to illuminate the keys that you need a separate source of light?
No comments:
Post a Comment