ffakr
Nov 26, 09:29 PM
Ah, I see... But then again, you have more config options if you talk to one of Apple's business consultants and you can configure an Xserve with no drives if you'd like. Not sure what else the prior cluster node configurations had though, I guess I was unaware of their existence -- never saw them on the site, but I didn't really look.
I wasn't aware you could buy an XServe with no drives. It's odd for vendors to ship devices that can't be bench tested as is (unless Apple remote boots them on the line).
One of my big complaints with the XServe is that you don't get empty drive sleds if you don't order Apple drives. Apple ships covers for the un-used drives and you don't get the drive sleds unless you buy an expensive module from Apple.
Another complaint, Apple uses SMART but they don't support SMART on drives other than those that ship in XServes. The drives have to have Apple approved firmware. We bought 80GB modules and upgraded to nicer 300GB models (cheaper OEM even with a spare on the shelf compared to Apple's 250s) and the XServe won't read the SMART data from the drives.
The whole point of the XServe Cluster Node was to leave the frills out, like the drive bays and drives, so that you can get the most bang for the lowest buck. If Apple does go back to a cluster node, they'd likely drop the dual PowerSupplies also since a cluster node can go off line without pulling down a cluster.
A few bucks doesn't seem like much until you start pricing 40 or 100 or even 1000 compute nodes and then $300ish per machine becomes real money. I've got a group that has funds for a $300,000 cluster next year (and no money for additional IT ;-). Even if you dropped $250,000 on compute nodes and the rest on infrastructure you're looking at 50 nice compute nodes (at 5K apeace). Drop $300 per node and you've got another free $15,000. On a tight IT budget, that's a lot of money. Hell, my most metrics that's a lot of money.
I'm actually not looking to buy an Apple server for the small project I mentioned earlier. I need something with guaranteed Debian Linux support (or SuSe at the very least). I do want to go Core2Duo or Core2Quatro since we have tight thermal requirements and price/performance is a huge issue.
I wasn't aware you could buy an XServe with no drives. It's odd for vendors to ship devices that can't be bench tested as is (unless Apple remote boots them on the line).
One of my big complaints with the XServe is that you don't get empty drive sleds if you don't order Apple drives. Apple ships covers for the un-used drives and you don't get the drive sleds unless you buy an expensive module from Apple.
Another complaint, Apple uses SMART but they don't support SMART on drives other than those that ship in XServes. The drives have to have Apple approved firmware. We bought 80GB modules and upgraded to nicer 300GB models (cheaper OEM even with a spare on the shelf compared to Apple's 250s) and the XServe won't read the SMART data from the drives.
The whole point of the XServe Cluster Node was to leave the frills out, like the drive bays and drives, so that you can get the most bang for the lowest buck. If Apple does go back to a cluster node, they'd likely drop the dual PowerSupplies also since a cluster node can go off line without pulling down a cluster.
A few bucks doesn't seem like much until you start pricing 40 or 100 or even 1000 compute nodes and then $300ish per machine becomes real money. I've got a group that has funds for a $300,000 cluster next year (and no money for additional IT ;-). Even if you dropped $250,000 on compute nodes and the rest on infrastructure you're looking at 50 nice compute nodes (at 5K apeace). Drop $300 per node and you've got another free $15,000. On a tight IT budget, that's a lot of money. Hell, my most metrics that's a lot of money.
I'm actually not looking to buy an Apple server for the small project I mentioned earlier. I need something with guaranteed Debian Linux support (or SuSe at the very least). I do want to go Core2Duo or Core2Quatro since we have tight thermal requirements and price/performance is a huge issue.

EagerDragon
Jul 19, 08:47 PM
Source? :rolleyes:
Little birdy. running the code.
Little birdy. running the code.
Dont Hurt Me
Mar 20, 09:37 PM
apple doesnt aim their market at people who shop for those computers, simple as that.
iJonand since Apple is missing the market so bad its sales have sunk to the lowest % in its history. there will come a point that it wont matter how much money is in their bank because no one will be buying the stuff. Look at iJon even he uses a PC for gaming. most people dont have a pc and a Mac so what do they buy? a PC.
iJonand since Apple is missing the market so bad its sales have sunk to the lowest % in its history. there will come a point that it wont matter how much money is in their bank because no one will be buying the stuff. Look at iJon even he uses a PC for gaming. most people dont have a pc and a Mac so what do they buy? a PC.
Linito
Dec 4, 12:58 PM
Actually, I was thinking they were working on a car ;)
no no no think big, an airplane or a satellite maybe even a spaceshuttle :p
no no no think big, an airplane or a satellite maybe even a spaceshuttle :p
aswitcher
Aug 7, 03:42 AM
I know! But this is special insider info I'm showing just to you, you can't let anyone else see it, you have to keep it a secret!
Only 100 songs max I suppose ;)
Only 100 songs max I suppose ;)
~Shard~
Sep 6, 08:58 AM
Any thoughts - why no Merom?
Apple probably wants to keep the costs of the Mini down, and until prices drop in October on the Core 2 Duos, we likely won't see them in the Mini. Plus, going from Core Solo to Core Duo is a decent enough upgrade for now. Lasty, Apple probably would not update the Mini to Core 2 Duo before the MacBooks/MacBook Pros. :cool:
Apple probably wants to keep the costs of the Mini down, and until prices drop in October on the Core 2 Duos, we likely won't see them in the Mini. Plus, going from Core Solo to Core Duo is a decent enough upgrade for now. Lasty, Apple probably would not update the Mini to Core 2 Duo before the MacBooks/MacBook Pros. :cool:
dethmaShine
May 2, 04:25 PM
They could have simplified the whole process in the following way:

iPod Nano 5th Generation

Cheap iPod – New Apple iPod

ipod touch 5th generation
cmustin
Nov 25, 09:30 AM
No clue but could you please tell me where to purchase it? Its exactly what Im looking for!
Any Army surplus store will carry it.
Any Army surplus store will carry it.
rasmasyean
Apr 8, 03:43 AM
Well, they don't necessarily need to field troops that shoot rifles. Having a ground force can mean a lot of different things, including spec ops. I think one feasible solution may be to have US troops field artillery. This might be one of those opportunites to test "smart artillery" on those trenches near civilians and hospitals. They might also try to blow up more tanks so they can sell them more refurbished M1 Abrams later. I think smart artillery is more economical than aerial bombing runs to blow up some cheap russian tanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M982_Excalibur
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M982_Excalibur

MacRumors
Sep 14, 08:33 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/09/14/consumer-reports-holds-strong-on-iphone-4-non-recommendation/)
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/09/14/093156-iphone_4_case.jpg

ipod touch 5th generation

ipod touch 5th gen. ipod touch

Ipod Touch 5th Generation Case

Apple iPod touch 32 GB (2nd

ipod touch 5th.

5th Generation, iPod touch

next-generation iPod touch

free ipod games 5th generation

iPod (5th generation),
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/09/14/093156-iphone_4_case.jpg
poppe
Sep 1, 01:16 PM
Computer lines (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME. It seems like all of you are afraid of the iMac outselling the Mac Pro. The smart thing to do is, yes, to make the iMac super-upgradeable but more expensive to do so, something which is probably intuitive anyway. People will then make the choice of an all-in-one or a tower. There is no such thing as a "too powerful" iMac. Apple sets the price, consumers buy.
No, now that I think about it, I dont think i'm worried about iMacs out selling a Mac Pro.
I'm acctually thinking how Apple tends to keep its computers seperated in some way so that the people that want a Mac Pro get a Mac Pro even if they have to resort to payments just to have it; that way people don't think they could settle for an iMac at 2399 and say "well I wanted a Mac Pro, but this should be ok too i guess"
Thats crazy! no way do Computers (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME.
No, now that I think about it, I dont think i'm worried about iMacs out selling a Mac Pro.
I'm acctually thinking how Apple tends to keep its computers seperated in some way so that the people that want a Mac Pro get a Mac Pro even if they have to resort to payments just to have it; that way people don't think they could settle for an iMac at 2399 and say "well I wanted a Mac Pro, but this should be ok too i guess"
Thats crazy! no way do Computers (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME.
Lord Blackadder
Mar 11, 04:57 PM
Not really, they stole and are still considered bad cars. Look at the Kia's etc, throughout the brand you can instantly see other (mainly German) cars they've stolen the design from.
They might not be known for their originality, but their engineering is solid, and continues to improve.
They might not be known for their originality, but their engineering is solid, and continues to improve.
BeefUK
Aug 24, 06:13 PM
I hope this means they'll update the Macbooks too, mac mini with Core 2 Duo and not in the macbook would be strange!!!
I can understand the macbook pro being updated on it's own but the mini???
I can understand the macbook pro being updated on it's own but the mini???
skunk
Mar 27, 08:59 AM
He even says that European Command is headed by a US Admiral.Really? How shocking! Imagine, the US European Command, headed by an American! Next you'll be telling us that the US President is an American, too.
blacktape242
Mar 22, 04:35 PM
I will just continue to use my iphone as my ipod like everyone else.......
Sent from my Iphone
Sent from my Iphone
kntgsp
Sep 14, 11:13 AM
Interesting. Instead of jailbreaking, know what I do? I copy my files onto my iOS devices as a backup. No problem. I have several GB of data on both my iPod touch and my iPad.
I have yet to find a single Windows or Linux computer at work that will allow me to simply drag and drop some files onto the device as if it were a mounted drive like any other USB stick or Android/Symbian phone.
It's why the girlfriend has the iPhone4 and I am using Android at the moment (which I am growing to detest for lack of decent VNC options)
I have yet to find a single Windows or Linux computer at work that will allow me to simply drag and drop some files onto the device as if it were a mounted drive like any other USB stick or Android/Symbian phone.
It's why the girlfriend has the iPhone4 and I am using Android at the moment (which I am growing to detest for lack of decent VNC options)
Kristenn
Mar 25, 04:48 PM
This is great news and all but I still don't get why people keep comparing an iMac (All in One) to a PC Tower and not something like the Gateway One or those Sony AIO computers. Its comparing apples to oranges.
The iMac isn't crippled anymore than those PC AIO computers from Sony, Dell, HP, or Gateway. In fact, the iMac is the fastest AIO you can buy, at the moment. I don't get it. People seem to think the iMac is "underpowered" because it isn't the speed of a tower computer. Well, duh. Instead of comparing an AIO to a tower, compare it to another AIO. THEN you'll see that the iMac isn't "underpowered" or anything close to the meaning of the word.
The iMac isn't crippled anymore than those PC AIO computers from Sony, Dell, HP, or Gateway. In fact, the iMac is the fastest AIO you can buy, at the moment. I don't get it. People seem to think the iMac is "underpowered" because it isn't the speed of a tower computer. Well, duh. Instead of comparing an AIO to a tower, compare it to another AIO. THEN you'll see that the iMac isn't "underpowered" or anything close to the meaning of the word.
Caris
Feb 20, 02:52 PM
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4189/p1000762s.jpg
TheIguana
Jul 18, 02:45 AM
Thing is Steve Jobs is going to pull the usual trick (stupid contracts) and only release this to the American public. Rubbish if you ask me, we live in a world of more than one country. Which is why this sounds like another stupid pipe dream that the rest of the world will never get to enjoy *points at TV shows*.
Iggy :rolleyes:
Iggy :rolleyes:
andrewbecks
May 2, 08:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
As I'm sure others have noted, this jus seems less efficient than CMD-delete. I suppose more options are good, and I get this is a transition towards a more pervasive touch interface, but for computers with physical keyboards, this leaves me cold.
I always wanted a CMD-delete action for Dashboard; this seems like a step back.
Agreed. I prefer Command + Delete, but I suppose it's nice to have options. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of the launchpad for OS X idea, but I'm sure it appeals to some people.
As I'm sure others have noted, this jus seems less efficient than CMD-delete. I suppose more options are good, and I get this is a transition towards a more pervasive touch interface, but for computers with physical keyboards, this leaves me cold.
I always wanted a CMD-delete action for Dashboard; this seems like a step back.
Agreed. I prefer Command + Delete, but I suppose it's nice to have options. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of the launchpad for OS X idea, but I'm sure it appeals to some people.
kevingaffney
Sep 14, 11:10 AM
Does the iPhone have an inherent design issue with regards to antenna performance. The answer is, absolutely YES. Does the bumper mitigate this issue, in my experience it does, however only a marginal amount.
I have dropped calls every day, in places where I would have near full signal if I was not holding the phone. I have 3G data issues, especially in the fringe areas where I did not have an issue with my 3Gs.
The iPhone is a great device and I agree that consumer reports is splitting hairs with the antenna issue.
Apple agree's there is a problem or they would not have given away bumpers to everyone.
Fortunately, I use my iPhone as a phone only about 20% of the time, so 80% of my use is great. The other 20% is only a problem about 1 in 7 calls.
So, while it is a little inconvenient when a call drops when I hold the phone in that way, or short data interruptions on 3G from time-to-time, overall I get a lot done with the iPhone.
I do look forward to changing my iPhone to a newer device at the first reasonable opportunity, primarily because of the antenna issue.
I would agree completely. Have to say I use mine all day for business use. Hardly ever drop a call and it's way the best of all the iPhones I've had so far going back to 2nd gen
I have dropped calls every day, in places where I would have near full signal if I was not holding the phone. I have 3G data issues, especially in the fringe areas where I did not have an issue with my 3Gs.
The iPhone is a great device and I agree that consumer reports is splitting hairs with the antenna issue.
Apple agree's there is a problem or they would not have given away bumpers to everyone.
Fortunately, I use my iPhone as a phone only about 20% of the time, so 80% of my use is great. The other 20% is only a problem about 1 in 7 calls.
So, while it is a little inconvenient when a call drops when I hold the phone in that way, or short data interruptions on 3G from time-to-time, overall I get a lot done with the iPhone.
I do look forward to changing my iPhone to a newer device at the first reasonable opportunity, primarily because of the antenna issue.
I would agree completely. Have to say I use mine all day for business use. Hardly ever drop a call and it's way the best of all the iPhones I've had so far going back to 2nd gen
steve2112
Feb 22, 09:46 PM
That has changed. The Cummins, Powerstroke, and Duramax now have to meet the stringent emissions regulations. Why do you think they cost $8K now compared to the $3-4K before the new emission laws?
I thought anything with a GVWR of over 10k lbs was exempt from those standards. I know they are exempt from CAFE fuel economy standards.
I thought anything with a GVWR of over 10k lbs was exempt from those standards. I know they are exempt from CAFE fuel economy standards.
imac_japan
Mar 27, 06:45 AM
its my understanding that apple made this browser BEFORE MSIE was pulled from the mac. M$ pulled IE because they believed Safari was better and faster and could better serve the mac. it was also part of a marketing plan by M$ to remove IE as a stand alone browser from Win and Mac. Think before you post and do your homework. The rest of use don't want to read something that's not true or thot out.
Sorry but I disagree - what you say here is just something you made up !!!! Safari is a good browser and Apple only made it cause MS pulled IE. Think about it. Apple may have money but it needs to do something else to kick start growth....The Ipod doesn't have long to go...Itunes will still do well but it doesn't give Apple enough money !
Don't forget - please sign the petition.....
Sorry but I disagree - what you say here is just something you made up !!!! Safari is a good browser and Apple only made it cause MS pulled IE. Think about it. Apple may have money but it needs to do something else to kick start growth....The Ipod doesn't have long to go...Itunes will still do well but it doesn't give Apple enough money !
Don't forget - please sign the petition.....
kingtj
Mar 24, 01:50 PM
They'll need to do something about the power connectors, though.
The last couple times I decided to go with a re-flashed PC version of a graphics card for my Mac Pro, I had to buy special 6-pin power connectors to go between the card and the motherboard since the PC version assumed you had a different type of power connector to use.
When you consider you often need 2 of these cables, typically priced at upwards of $20 each, that can start to make a re-flashed PC version of a given card look a lot less attractive compared to the official Apple version.
i would love to buy an off the shelf gpu for half the price of a mac branded amd card. please let this be true then i will not sell my 2008 macpro
The last couple times I decided to go with a re-flashed PC version of a graphics card for my Mac Pro, I had to buy special 6-pin power connectors to go between the card and the motherboard since the PC version assumed you had a different type of power connector to use.
When you consider you often need 2 of these cables, typically priced at upwards of $20 each, that can start to make a re-flashed PC version of a given card look a lot less attractive compared to the official Apple version.
i would love to buy an off the shelf gpu for half the price of a mac branded amd card. please let this be true then i will not sell my 2008 macpro
No comments:
Post a Comment