logandzwon
Sep 14, 02:01 PM
...my iPhone 4 still gets the best reception of any phone I've ever owned, regardless of how I hold it or whether or not it has a case on it...
same here
same here
TerryJ
Jul 14, 11:53 AM
So, easily seen. The employ the exact same codecs.
They CAN use the same codecs. The problem on the BD side is that... all of the Sony discs (and other studios so far) use MPEG2 for video and standard DD or PCM for audio.
Also, the current generation BD decks (Samsung and forthcoming Sony deck) cannot decode DD+, Dolby TruHD audio formats. They can only do same DD and DTS as old DVDs. HD DVD decks can decode DD+ and Dolby TruHD (TruHD can only be decoded to stereo in the current decks, though, unfortunately.) Also, the software needs to have audio encoded in DD+ and Dolby TruHD. All HD DVD discs have at least DD+. No BDs have DD+.
If Sony and other studios started using VC-1 or H.264 for video, things might look better for BD... but they aren't using it. I don't think there are any plans for Sony to author discs using VC-1... ever. It's all MPEG2 as far as I have heard.
[Warner Home Video has already released HD DVDs in VC-1... so it would stand to reason they'd just use the same encode for their BDs, but I guess we'll see if that is true.]
That's the trick. Talking pure specs, on paper, before anything was ever released, and BD seemed like it should be equal or better. Reality... I mean actual implementation, of course, is a different matter.
-Terry
They CAN use the same codecs. The problem on the BD side is that... all of the Sony discs (and other studios so far) use MPEG2 for video and standard DD or PCM for audio.
Also, the current generation BD decks (Samsung and forthcoming Sony deck) cannot decode DD+, Dolby TruHD audio formats. They can only do same DD and DTS as old DVDs. HD DVD decks can decode DD+ and Dolby TruHD (TruHD can only be decoded to stereo in the current decks, though, unfortunately.) Also, the software needs to have audio encoded in DD+ and Dolby TruHD. All HD DVD discs have at least DD+. No BDs have DD+.
If Sony and other studios started using VC-1 or H.264 for video, things might look better for BD... but they aren't using it. I don't think there are any plans for Sony to author discs using VC-1... ever. It's all MPEG2 as far as I have heard.
[Warner Home Video has already released HD DVDs in VC-1... so it would stand to reason they'd just use the same encode for their BDs, but I guess we'll see if that is true.]
That's the trick. Talking pure specs, on paper, before anything was ever released, and BD seemed like it should be equal or better. Reality... I mean actual implementation, of course, is a different matter.
-Terry
Full of Win
Apr 12, 08:31 PM
Here comes Super Final Cut Express (SFCE)...
Multimedia
Nov 17, 07:16 PM
Hummm... did a little looking around and it still looks like 2x 1 GB gets you a better price then 1x 2 GB. What place did you look at?Cheapest Two x 1GB sticks kit is $331 from Omni via this Ramseeker.com link (http://www.ramseeker.com/scripts/counter.php?http://www.omnitechnologies.biz/cgi-bin/catalog/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F714335&rnd=3227630&rrc=N&affl=B&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=APLMP2X1GB667O&cat=applem).
That to me spells crossover time since for only +$3 you only fill two slots instead of 4 for the same 4GB of RAM.
Cheapest Two x 2GB sticks kit is $665 at 18004memory via this Ramseeker kit (http://www.ramseeker.com/scripts/counter.php?http://www.18004memory.com/ramseeker/default.asp?itemid=502459).
I recommend you always use a Ramseeker.com (http://www.ramseeker.com) path to get the best price on RAM. It you don't use Ramseeker.com their respective listed vendors will charge you a lot more when you don't use those links in the Ramseeker.com (http://www.ramseeker.com) comparison chart.
That to me spells crossover time since for only +$3 you only fill two slots instead of 4 for the same 4GB of RAM.
Cheapest Two x 2GB sticks kit is $665 at 18004memory via this Ramseeker kit (http://www.ramseeker.com/scripts/counter.php?http://www.18004memory.com/ramseeker/default.asp?itemid=502459).
I recommend you always use a Ramseeker.com (http://www.ramseeker.com) path to get the best price on RAM. It you don't use Ramseeker.com their respective listed vendors will charge you a lot more when you don't use those links in the Ramseeker.com (http://www.ramseeker.com) comparison chart.
JimmyB248
Sep 6, 08:04 PM
I hope that one day the wealthiest working person could only make 2x to 3x of the poorest working person. God, would that change the world for ever. If the butcher makes 7 bucks and hour a doctor should make 12bucks a waitress 6bucks the president 15 bucks, no more no less... sick and tired of all this GREED!!!!
Nice idea, lets give communism another shot!
Nice idea, lets give communism another shot!
iZac
Apr 2, 07:28 PM
Far better than the "if you don't have an iPhone" ads. It eludes to enriching your life rather than showing off to your mates down the pub.

RebootD
Apr 12, 08:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)
This would be hilarious if there's no official announcement. Nah, they won't leave us hanging.
This would be hilarious if there's no official announcement. Nah, they won't leave us hanging.

chrisgeleven
Nov 29, 02:38 PM
You know what I would like with iTV?
Live content.
Think about it for a moment. I think everyone hates how expensive cable TV is. I am paying $45 per month just for 50 channels or so, with maybe 10 of those I actually watch (the networks, MSNBC, NESN, FSNE, ESPN, and a few other random ones).
Apple has the TV Shows issue fixed, thanks to $1.99 per show on iTunes and season passes.
However, live content is the big issue. I would love to ditch my cable tv subscription and go soley iTV. But I like to watch sports, especially baseball and football. Also you need TV for news events, especially breaking news. iTV and iTunes does not (yet) allow you to watch live streaming content.
If Apple could somehow strike a deal to cover sports and other live content such as news...that just really opens the door. Major League Baseball already does it with MLB.TV, except it is browser based. Imagine the same thing, but on iTV!?!?
Do that, and I would seriously cancel my cable tv subscription and go a la carte with iTunes. I spend roughly $540 a year on my 50 channels of cable TV, of which I at most watch 10 channels. I would much rather spend say $270 (half of the $540) on the 5 or so shows I watch, plus season passes for my local baseball and football teams, and the news channel of my choice.
That is where iTV could become a real winner.
Live content.
Think about it for a moment. I think everyone hates how expensive cable TV is. I am paying $45 per month just for 50 channels or so, with maybe 10 of those I actually watch (the networks, MSNBC, NESN, FSNE, ESPN, and a few other random ones).
Apple has the TV Shows issue fixed, thanks to $1.99 per show on iTunes and season passes.
However, live content is the big issue. I would love to ditch my cable tv subscription and go soley iTV. But I like to watch sports, especially baseball and football. Also you need TV for news events, especially breaking news. iTV and iTunes does not (yet) allow you to watch live streaming content.
If Apple could somehow strike a deal to cover sports and other live content such as news...that just really opens the door. Major League Baseball already does it with MLB.TV, except it is browser based. Imagine the same thing, but on iTV!?!?
Do that, and I would seriously cancel my cable tv subscription and go a la carte with iTunes. I spend roughly $540 a year on my 50 channels of cable TV, of which I at most watch 10 channels. I would much rather spend say $270 (half of the $540) on the 5 or so shows I watch, plus season passes for my local baseball and football teams, and the news channel of my choice.
That is where iTV could become a real winner.
ag227
Apr 13, 01:52 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article/2011/04/12/215630-275776300_500.jpg
In this image, what screen is that they are using? the stand looks like something by apple, the silver border around the screen is not a cinema display as its too thick and its not an imac as there is not enough silver along the bottom??
or am i just seeing it funny?
In this image, what screen is that they are using? the stand looks like something by apple, the silver border around the screen is not a cinema display as its too thick and its not an imac as there is not enough silver along the bottom??
or am i just seeing it funny?
econgeek
Apr 12, 09:53 PM
Eh. People bitched about Aperture getting these features too, but so far Aperture's never grabbed me by the neck and forced me to use them. I assume Final Cut will be the same.
Face Detection worked great in iPhoto. In Aperture it is a PITA even if you want to use it. For instance, I haven't figured out how to say "this is just a cloud, there is no face there, really, don't ask me every time I start up the face detection feature."
Face Detection worked great in iPhoto. In Aperture it is a PITA even if you want to use it. For instance, I haven't figured out how to say "this is just a cloud, there is no face there, really, don't ask me every time I start up the face detection feature."
mangis
Aug 24, 05:42 PM
It May Be Time For A Mac For My Entertainment Center
danbirchall
Jan 12, 07:09 AM
Aluminum is much harder to recycle than plastic
Say what? It may have a higher melting point than plastic, but it's the most recyclable material out there. Plastic often can't even be used in the same application multiple times, and ends up being "downcycled" into something completely different. Wikipedia says recycling aluminum is 95% more efficient than making it from ore; recycling plastic is only 70% more efficient than making it new.
Say what? It may have a higher melting point than plastic, but it's the most recyclable material out there. Plastic often can't even be used in the same application multiple times, and ends up being "downcycled" into something completely different. Wikipedia says recycling aluminum is 95% more efficient than making it from ore; recycling plastic is only 70% more efficient than making it new.
NameUndecided
Apr 3, 01:01 AM
It worked for me too on DP1. On DP2, I had to install Snow Leopard first.
Ooh. Thought you were talking about the installs for both previews. I installed developer preview 2 over the first, so I didn't realize. It still doesn't sound very accurate to me.
Forgive me -- this is what I'm understanding from you:
DP1 can install onto a blank disk/partition.
DP2 can't install on a blank disk/partition. Needs to install as an update on top of DP 1 or Snow Leopard. (?)
Ooh. Thought you were talking about the installs for both previews. I installed developer preview 2 over the first, so I didn't realize. It still doesn't sound very accurate to me.
Forgive me -- this is what I'm understanding from you:
DP1 can install onto a blank disk/partition.
DP2 can't install on a blank disk/partition. Needs to install as an update on top of DP 1 or Snow Leopard. (?)

Chef Medeski
Jul 14, 10:17 AM
It would be nice - in theory - to have a hyper-fast wireless connection; however, what does it matter if my outside line stays at 2M/512k speed? The B-spec is perfectly fine for quite some time.
Personally the only thing the speed helps is within a network. You see I have a mac server (old G4 B&W) that holds all my music and photos to be broadcasted over the connection. If I want to transfer some songs or photos to e-mail, well it helps to have the extra speed. But your right thats really minimally helping...
the big help would be range. I mean G was supposed to make covering a whole house no problem, but guess what I reguarly spot out a floor below and to the left. I'm about to install two extenders, so I actually get service throughout the house :rolleyes: .... hopefully with n, I wouldn't have to wry about that.
Personally the only thing the speed helps is within a network. You see I have a mac server (old G4 B&W) that holds all my music and photos to be broadcasted over the connection. If I want to transfer some songs or photos to e-mail, well it helps to have the extra speed. But your right thats really minimally helping...
the big help would be range. I mean G was supposed to make covering a whole house no problem, but guess what I reguarly spot out a floor below and to the left. I'm about to install two extenders, so I actually get service throughout the house :rolleyes: .... hopefully with n, I wouldn't have to wry about that.
aaps59
Feb 7, 04:38 PM
Very nice, how's yours holding up?
My parents have '07 LR3 and an '07 Range Rover sport. Both have been very reliable aside from some software issues in the RRS that were quickly sorted out. There have been a couple little things but overall they have been much more reliable than our previous Discoveries.
We had an LR4 as a loaner and it's like night and day over the LR3. The interior is significantly nicer and the ride is smoother.
Ja, well ours hasn't had really many issues. We bought it used, had it since early 08. Issues it has had are that mice once chewed some wires underneath it which controlled several things such as the height control, timing, gearing, such as it wouldnt really let it get out of 3rd gear. We had that fixed... =/ The dealer ((Ray Catena, Edison)) said it was quite common, and they took the liberty of exchanging our battery and adding even more to the already jaw-dropping service fees. Other issues consisted of a faulty electric parking break which still doesnt work, after we took it to the dealer.
So basically electric issues. Which is pretty common for the already unreliable Land Rovers. Me personally, I love em. :cool:
Yeah, LR4's look pretty epic, I like the exterior lighting much more, and the interior does seem to be much nicer. I heard about the Discovery issues and I agree that Land Rover quality changed a great deal after the 2005/2006 redesigns. I.e. the introduction of the RRS, facelifted RR, and the introduction of the LR3, AND the later introduction of the LR2.
My parents have '07 LR3 and an '07 Range Rover sport. Both have been very reliable aside from some software issues in the RRS that were quickly sorted out. There have been a couple little things but overall they have been much more reliable than our previous Discoveries.
We had an LR4 as a loaner and it's like night and day over the LR3. The interior is significantly nicer and the ride is smoother.
Ja, well ours hasn't had really many issues. We bought it used, had it since early 08. Issues it has had are that mice once chewed some wires underneath it which controlled several things such as the height control, timing, gearing, such as it wouldnt really let it get out of 3rd gear. We had that fixed... =/ The dealer ((Ray Catena, Edison)) said it was quite common, and they took the liberty of exchanging our battery and adding even more to the already jaw-dropping service fees. Other issues consisted of a faulty electric parking break which still doesnt work, after we took it to the dealer.
So basically electric issues. Which is pretty common for the already unreliable Land Rovers. Me personally, I love em. :cool:
Yeah, LR4's look pretty epic, I like the exterior lighting much more, and the interior does seem to be much nicer. I heard about the Discovery issues and I agree that Land Rover quality changed a great deal after the 2005/2006 redesigns. I.e. the introduction of the RRS, facelifted RR, and the introduction of the LR3, AND the later introduction of the LR2.

vrillusions
Mar 25, 04:38 PM
That looks really impressive, makes me want to buy an iPad 2 (or a playstation :D).
Actually a lot of the games for the ps3 or xbox 360 have a native resolution of 720p and they'll upscale to 1080p. Gran Turismo and such probably do 1080p because that's one of their things is hyper-realistic graphics.
Actually a lot of the games for the ps3 or xbox 360 have a native resolution of 720p and they'll upscale to 1080p. Gran Turismo and such probably do 1080p because that's one of their things is hyper-realistic graphics.
cube
Mar 24, 04:24 PM
Which is not even out yet. Brazos/Zacate and Ontario are the ones I'm referring. Let me edit that out.
Yes. And there are conflicting reports about whether Llano will be released in Q2 or Q3. Not such a long wait for a consumer which is not in a hurry.
In general, Zacate wins over Atom.
Yes. And there are conflicting reports about whether Llano will be released in Q2 or Q3. Not such a long wait for a consumer which is not in a hurry.
In general, Zacate wins over Atom.
LtCarter47
Aug 16, 09:16 AM
Apple's headquarters has begun dispatching its staff to its major markets in Asia, to teach local sales how to demonstrate the new products, the sources noted.
Sounds more like this would be related to this article:
Apple cuts Taiwan workforce by 30%
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/15/apple.cuts.taiwan.workers/ (http://www.macnn.com/print/36508)
Apple has cut its workforce at its local Taiwan sales office by 30-40 percent, including many executives and managers. The Digitimes reports that the workforce reduction was due to weaker sales and market share achieved by Apple Taiwan, compared to the performance of Apple's Hong Kong branch. The cuts follow the June resignation of Kong Yuk-loong, the former managing director of Apple Taiwan, according to the report. "Since Kong's departure, a number of managers and executives at the branch have resigned as well, including the former head of Apple Taiwan's marketing division
Sounds more like this would be related to this article:
Apple cuts Taiwan workforce by 30%
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/15/apple.cuts.taiwan.workers/ (http://www.macnn.com/print/36508)
Apple has cut its workforce at its local Taiwan sales office by 30-40 percent, including many executives and managers. The Digitimes reports that the workforce reduction was due to weaker sales and market share achieved by Apple Taiwan, compared to the performance of Apple's Hong Kong branch. The cuts follow the June resignation of Kong Yuk-loong, the former managing director of Apple Taiwan, according to the report. "Since Kong's departure, a number of managers and executives at the branch have resigned as well, including the former head of Apple Taiwan's marketing division
jonnysods
Apr 19, 07:43 PM
Very cool. We love our iMac 2010 i3 27" still, but I love to see this model grow and mature and get desktop components.
Couple more years!
Couple more years!
BRLawyer
Aug 26, 11:33 AM
Gee, you'd want to be damn sure of that announcement next Tuesday or risk looking like a complete idiot. We shall soon see..
Mr. Shaw is pronouncing this since late 2005...so no surprises here... :rolleyes:
Mr. Shaw is pronouncing this since late 2005...so no surprises here... :rolleyes:
kalisphoenix
Jan 2, 09:47 PM
I certainly hope not. Sun may not produce the glamourous stuff, but it is exceedingly great at inventing and innovating on the back-end and they're open with it. Apple buying Sun wouldn't make them any more innovative, but I can see Apple's culture of secrecy and proprietary control killing much of what Sun does.
Apple's proprietary attitude may or may not help it on the consumer desktop, but it wouldn't be successful everywhere.
Not to mention the NeXTSTEP vs. Apple, Cocoa vs. Carbon schism. Those two philosophies have not learned to work together as well as I would have hoped. Introducing a third, profoundly different culture could be disastrous.
Apple: Computers for home users and schools.
NeXT: Computers for developers and researchers.
Sun: Computers for government and corporations.
I can't even imagine what Sun's influence on the hardware and software would be. It'd be positive, I'm sure -- a lot of geniuses at Sun -- but all of the other factors inside the companies and cultures could never be predicted.
Apple's proprietary attitude may or may not help it on the consumer desktop, but it wouldn't be successful everywhere.
Not to mention the NeXTSTEP vs. Apple, Cocoa vs. Carbon schism. Those two philosophies have not learned to work together as well as I would have hoped. Introducing a third, profoundly different culture could be disastrous.
Apple: Computers for home users and schools.
NeXT: Computers for developers and researchers.
Sun: Computers for government and corporations.
I can't even imagine what Sun's influence on the hardware and software would be. It'd be positive, I'm sure -- a lot of geniuses at Sun -- but all of the other factors inside the companies and cultures could never be predicted.
Counter
Nov 18, 09:29 AM
iTunes saw much less improvements?
Christ.
iTunes runs perfectly well on a G4 400mhz.
8-Cores ain't for anything remotely normal, let alone listening to music.
Christ.
iTunes runs perfectly well on a G4 400mhz.
8-Cores ain't for anything remotely normal, let alone listening to music.
boncellis
Jul 18, 02:51 PM
I have mixed feelings about this. The only way I see this really becoming big is if Apple releases a Mac Mini media center. By so doing, Apple will catch a huge market of people who say, "What do you want to watch tonight?" How many times have you been in this situation. You've looked at all your movies, which you've seen at least three times each, and decide that you don't have anything you want to watch. Would if, from your remote, you had a whole movie store IN YOUR HOME? That's right. Who needs to go to Blockbuster or wait for NetFlix. Just point, click, and...hello, movie. You get to keep it for a few days.
This will only work, though, if it is that easy. If people have to figure out their own way to get it to the TV, they will simply go get the DVD from Blockbuster, because the player is already hooked up to the TV. If Apple wants to make it in the movie business, they need to build something that is meant to hook up to the TV right OUT OF THE BOX.
I'm excited to see it!
Right. Just like that super successful venture Moviebeam.
This will only work, though, if it is that easy. If people have to figure out their own way to get it to the TV, they will simply go get the DVD from Blockbuster, because the player is already hooked up to the TV. If Apple wants to make it in the movie business, they need to build something that is meant to hook up to the TV right OUT OF THE BOX.
I'm excited to see it!
Right. Just like that super successful venture Moviebeam.
imac_japan
Apr 6, 10:54 AM
Next Commodore 64? You know Commodore started selling computers after Apple, sold fewer computers than Apple, and is gone, right? Why the Hell do you want Apple to be anything like Commodore?
Because the Commodore 64 sold better than anything Apple has built and it was cheap !! It was a computer for the masses....
Thats what Apple needs.....All this Apple makes the best computers etc etc debate is pointless...
They may be making money but the mac is not spreading...the ipod is ! Apple needs to push both lines
Because the Commodore 64 sold better than anything Apple has built and it was cheap !! It was a computer for the masses....
Thats what Apple needs.....All this Apple makes the best computers etc etc debate is pointless...
They may be making money but the mac is not spreading...the ipod is ! Apple needs to push both lines
No comments:
Post a Comment