ezekielrage_99
Aug 27, 07:39 PM
This is the $64K question. Does anyone know when the X3000 is due to be released?
I was under the impression when the Core 2 Duos were released, but I hope very soon because they are a measurable improvement over the GMA950 which isn't as bad as everyone make it out to be.
I was under the impression when the Core 2 Duos were released, but I hope very soon because they are a measurable improvement over the GMA950 which isn't as bad as everyone make it out to be.
iKwick7
Sep 1, 12:03 PM
If this does come out, looks like I'll be selling my Macbook. :)
dagamer34
Mar 24, 01:06 PM
Would definitely be great if they would just support off-the-shelf graphics cards. I'd be a little surprised, but I've given up saying that Apple will or won't do something just because of their prior decisions.
jW
Apple writes all the drivers for the cards. It supports, so that will probably never happen.
jW
Apple writes all the drivers for the cards. It supports, so that will probably never happen.
vand0576
Sep 1, 01:03 PM
I don't think they'll ever make the iMac very upgradable. While iMac and Mac Pro users tend to be a different type, I still think if they leave to much room for the iMac to grow at a bargain, then there will be no reason for a Mac Pro.
Computer lines (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME. It seems like all of you are afraid of the iMac outselling the Mac Pro. The smart thing to do is, yes, to make the iMac super-upgradeable but more expensive to do so, something which is probably intuitive anyway. People will then make the choice of an all-in-one or a tower. There is no such thing as a "too powerful" iMac. Apple sets the price, consumers buy.
Computer lines (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME. It seems like all of you are afraid of the iMac outselling the Mac Pro. The smart thing to do is, yes, to make the iMac super-upgradeable but more expensive to do so, something which is probably intuitive anyway. People will then make the choice of an all-in-one or a tower. There is no such thing as a "too powerful" iMac. Apple sets the price, consumers buy.
marksman
Apr 21, 03:01 PM
So somebody sues you for (insert nefarious activity of your choice) and you deny it saying you were nowhere near Location-X at the time. Then, under rules of disclosure, they subpeona your iPhone/iPad/MBP/TC to obtain your data. The data shows you were at least in the vicinity of Location-X and so had the opportunity to perform (aforesaid nefarious activity).
They can do that anyways. They could subponea the cell phone records and the cell phone company would have the exact same record from the other side. People really don't understand what is going on here when they fly off the handle with these wacky examples.
The cell phone provider has a log of every cell tower you have visited with your phone. This is often used in legal cases as evidence.
I agree that the location data should be dumped... every few hours... so the files contain minimal information. Backups should exclude all this location data. I cannot imagine why any application needs to know my location from more than a few hours ago.
That is because you don't understand what the data is for... It is a database to help assist with the functioning of the device. It is not a log file of places you visited. See you don't even know what the file is for but you are demanding how it should be changed.
Dumping the file every few hours would make the significant functionality it provides the phone worthless.
Did you know the future of cellular phones is going to use systems where you are predictably moved to a specific tower based on where they believe you are going as it will help with throughput for data, signal quality, reduced power consumption and overall functionality. Such databases will absolutely be a part of all cell phones going forward. It is part of the technology, part of the functionality.
If someone steals your phone they might see some of that data, and they might also see the roll of pictures you took at the furry convention.
They can do that anyways. They could subponea the cell phone records and the cell phone company would have the exact same record from the other side. People really don't understand what is going on here when they fly off the handle with these wacky examples.
The cell phone provider has a log of every cell tower you have visited with your phone. This is often used in legal cases as evidence.
I agree that the location data should be dumped... every few hours... so the files contain minimal information. Backups should exclude all this location data. I cannot imagine why any application needs to know my location from more than a few hours ago.
That is because you don't understand what the data is for... It is a database to help assist with the functioning of the device. It is not a log file of places you visited. See you don't even know what the file is for but you are demanding how it should be changed.
Dumping the file every few hours would make the significant functionality it provides the phone worthless.
Did you know the future of cellular phones is going to use systems where you are predictably moved to a specific tower based on where they believe you are going as it will help with throughput for data, signal quality, reduced power consumption and overall functionality. Such databases will absolutely be a part of all cell phones going forward. It is part of the technology, part of the functionality.
If someone steals your phone they might see some of that data, and they might also see the roll of pictures you took at the furry convention.
kalisphoenix
Jan 2, 09:47 PM
I certainly hope not. Sun may not produce the glamourous stuff, but it is exceedingly great at inventing and innovating on the back-end and they're open with it. Apple buying Sun wouldn't make them any more innovative, but I can see Apple's culture of secrecy and proprietary control killing much of what Sun does.
Apple's proprietary attitude may or may not help it on the consumer desktop, but it wouldn't be successful everywhere.
Not to mention the NeXTSTEP vs. Apple, Cocoa vs. Carbon schism. Those two philosophies have not learned to work together as well as I would have hoped. Introducing a third, profoundly different culture could be disastrous.
Apple: Computers for home users and schools.
NeXT: Computers for developers and researchers.
Sun: Computers for government and corporations.
I can't even imagine what Sun's influence on the hardware and software would be. It'd be positive, I'm sure -- a lot of geniuses at Sun -- but all of the other factors inside the companies and cultures could never be predicted.
Apple's proprietary attitude may or may not help it on the consumer desktop, but it wouldn't be successful everywhere.
Not to mention the NeXTSTEP vs. Apple, Cocoa vs. Carbon schism. Those two philosophies have not learned to work together as well as I would have hoped. Introducing a third, profoundly different culture could be disastrous.
Apple: Computers for home users and schools.
NeXT: Computers for developers and researchers.
Sun: Computers for government and corporations.
I can't even imagine what Sun's influence on the hardware and software would be. It'd be positive, I'm sure -- a lot of geniuses at Sun -- but all of the other factors inside the companies and cultures could never be predicted.
vaderhater245
Feb 27, 11:45 PM
I stole the stickers from my girlfriend's laptop and netbook. There's a Vista one on my iMac. and it is in fact a 13" STM.

copykris
Nov 25, 03:00 PM
A new case for my iPhone:
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/13/3/AAAACw-9PVcAAAAAABM2qA.jpg?v=1228421860000
;)
late entry to post of the year
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/13/3/AAAACw-9PVcAAAAAABM2qA.jpg?v=1228421860000
;)
late entry to post of the year
Music_Producer
Sep 7, 12:54 AM
I hope hope hope that iTMovieStore becomes a super success.... and I hope that Steve will force them into a $9.99-Only model and not that stupid $14.99 hierachy..... they'll have to "submit" after it becomes super successful. haha.
now seriously, movies here in new york are a blasted $10.50-10.75!!! ridiculous. I remember like "2 weeks ago" when movies were at most 8.75, but then when Star Wars Episode 1 came out and then Episode II, AMC 25 in manhattan suddenly bumped their prices up.....each time. "Oh, cause Star Wars, we must raise prices".
And, they've kept it ever since. Movies are making huge returns, and yet we have to pay a boat-load of money.. Soon it'll be $15. And you know what, Hollywood is going to pay and so will the theater chains. I hope the online model takes over at high quality. I can see it now, I'll pay $50 for a "rental" ...i won't mind........ when i have a 54" iTunes-DRM-signed code for mass-viewing (This is the future, i think) and i'll have 10 friends over.... it'll be Theater-replacement baby!! Like boxing on PPV.... pay $50 and have 10 friends over. I'd pay.... i am talking about current releases. And, when they are 3 months old... $9.99 to buy. THank you Apple. Now, Do it!
no more distribution costs. no more manufacturing costs. lower prices. right? Not if Hollywood has their way with ridiculous $19.99 prices... HELLO!! Hello!! that's DVD prices.... for a packaged DVD......!! HELLO!!! McFly!!
This is why I'm getting into Hollywood myself. I plan to be part of the revolution. Sure I like money just like any other schmoe. But, there is something wrong with everythign right now. Especially since all movies are crap these days.... formulaic and tired. And they want to keep raising the prices!
Rant over:confused:
Dude, stop ranting. Do you even work in the movie industry? God damn price of milk is going up too.. why don't you rant about that as well? I hate it when people complain about rising prices.. sheesh.. do you know that the cost of producing a movie or a music album has gone up?
If I don't like the price of a DVD, I don't buy it. If its a movie I really, really like.. then sure, I find the $19 price tag more than acceptable, because I know I will be watching the movie a couple of times. Nobody's asking you to buy a DVD of every single movie that comes out.
now seriously, movies here in new york are a blasted $10.50-10.75!!! ridiculous. I remember like "2 weeks ago" when movies were at most 8.75, but then when Star Wars Episode 1 came out and then Episode II, AMC 25 in manhattan suddenly bumped their prices up.....each time. "Oh, cause Star Wars, we must raise prices".
And, they've kept it ever since. Movies are making huge returns, and yet we have to pay a boat-load of money.. Soon it'll be $15. And you know what, Hollywood is going to pay and so will the theater chains. I hope the online model takes over at high quality. I can see it now, I'll pay $50 for a "rental" ...i won't mind........ when i have a 54" iTunes-DRM-signed code for mass-viewing (This is the future, i think) and i'll have 10 friends over.... it'll be Theater-replacement baby!! Like boxing on PPV.... pay $50 and have 10 friends over. I'd pay.... i am talking about current releases. And, when they are 3 months old... $9.99 to buy. THank you Apple. Now, Do it!
no more distribution costs. no more manufacturing costs. lower prices. right? Not if Hollywood has their way with ridiculous $19.99 prices... HELLO!! Hello!! that's DVD prices.... for a packaged DVD......!! HELLO!!! McFly!!
This is why I'm getting into Hollywood myself. I plan to be part of the revolution. Sure I like money just like any other schmoe. But, there is something wrong with everythign right now. Especially since all movies are crap these days.... formulaic and tired. And they want to keep raising the prices!
Rant over:confused:
Dude, stop ranting. Do you even work in the movie industry? God damn price of milk is going up too.. why don't you rant about that as well? I hate it when people complain about rising prices.. sheesh.. do you know that the cost of producing a movie or a music album has gone up?
If I don't like the price of a DVD, I don't buy it. If its a movie I really, really like.. then sure, I find the $19 price tag more than acceptable, because I know I will be watching the movie a couple of times. Nobody's asking you to buy a DVD of every single movie that comes out.
jgould
Feb 22, 07:43 PM
MonoPrice.com> CABLES > Video Cables - DisplayPort > Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cables (http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024604)
Why is it that searching on line for this never crossed my mind. (Of course, I've only had the MacBook for 2 days, so maybe I haven't gotten that far yet)
Thank you.
Why is it that searching on line for this never crossed my mind. (Of course, I've only had the MacBook for 2 days, so maybe I haven't gotten that far yet)
Thank you.
benhollberg
Apr 12, 02:12 PM
I can only drive stick, I don't know how to drive automatic.
BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 01:17 PM
Just think of how high the resolution on a 42" screen would be like. 4800 x 3000? At least a dozen megapixels!
Hmm.. I don't think that's a valid resolution. The next 16:10 up is WQUXGA at 3840x2400 and if Apple go crazy, WHUXGA at a monstrous 7680x4800 (the benchmark in 2015 ;) ).
Conroe inside a new design is much more likely.
Much more likely according to who? Sorry but when two great sites like AppleInsider and MacOSXRumors agree 100% with each other, then it seems that it's almost certainly going to be that way.
Hmm.. I don't think that's a valid resolution. The next 16:10 up is WQUXGA at 3840x2400 and if Apple go crazy, WHUXGA at a monstrous 7680x4800 (the benchmark in 2015 ;) ).
Conroe inside a new design is much more likely.
Much more likely according to who? Sorry but when two great sites like AppleInsider and MacOSXRumors agree 100% with each other, then it seems that it's almost certainly going to be that way.
yuyi64
Sep 24, 10:54 AM
I've been waiting so long for this case :( Does anyone know when they're gonna release it?
It's already been released. Best Buy has been selling them for more than a week now.
It's already been released. Best Buy has been selling them for more than a week now.
poppe
Jul 14, 12:31 PM
DVC-PRO is a Panasonic created format.
-Terry
Oops... I stand Corrected...
-Terry
Oops... I stand Corrected...
iAlan
Jul 14, 01:37 AM
Bluray (or Blu-ray - not sure how to write it yet) will win because it sounds way cooler to say 'Bluray' than 'HD-DVD' :p
And we all know how important a name can be - can you say 'MacBook'? :p :p
And we all know how important a name can be - can you say 'MacBook'? :p :p
diamond.g
Mar 24, 01:59 PM
It has too seeing as Intel is pushing DRM protection into the physical CPU.
But the GPU still has to decode what was sent and put it on the screen, which is why I asked if the TB itself can do the encoding. If it can how much overhead will that add (again as it has to happen over the PCIe side)?
Or can you send graphics information over DP that still needs to be processed, ie raw frames?
But the GPU still has to decode what was sent and put it on the screen, which is why I asked if the TB itself can do the encoding. If it can how much overhead will that add (again as it has to happen over the PCIe side)?
Or can you send graphics information over DP that still needs to be processed, ie raw frames?
jxyama
Mar 20, 01:19 PM
I just want to add that Apple would sell more computers if one was cheaper.....
yes, this is true. but apple is not in the business to sell more computers. apple is in the business to turn profits.
tiffany's would sell more diamond rings if they cut the price in half.
BMW would sell more cars if they cut the price by 30%.
...but so what?
yes, this is true. but apple is not in the business to sell more computers. apple is in the business to turn profits.
tiffany's would sell more diamond rings if they cut the price in half.
BMW would sell more cars if they cut the price by 30%.
...but so what?
imac_japan
Apr 6, 10:54 AM
Next Commodore 64? You know Commodore started selling computers after Apple, sold fewer computers than Apple, and is gone, right? Why the Hell do you want Apple to be anything like Commodore?
Because the Commodore 64 sold better than anything Apple has built and it was cheap !! It was a computer for the masses....
Thats what Apple needs.....All this Apple makes the best computers etc etc debate is pointless...
They may be making money but the mac is not spreading...the ipod is ! Apple needs to push both lines
Because the Commodore 64 sold better than anything Apple has built and it was cheap !! It was a computer for the masses....
Thats what Apple needs.....All this Apple makes the best computers etc etc debate is pointless...
They may be making money but the mac is not spreading...the ipod is ! Apple needs to push both lines

Chupa Chupa
Sep 7, 02:37 PM
I think it will have to be a rental or stream service. There is no way I would pay $14.99 for a lower quality movie at the same price I would pay for a DVD at circuit city or best buy. I know Steve Jobs has been fighting with the movie companies to have a uniform price. Unfortunately, these companies get pretty greedy and don't see the big picture.
I also don't think apple would put out an option, like $14.99 downloads, when that doesn't make sense.
-Chuck
You won't, but you are probably more technically savvy then 99% of the world population. How many people pay $10 for an album of songs encoded @ 128Mbps and couldn't be happier?
I also don't think apple would put out an option, like $14.99 downloads, when that doesn't make sense.
-Chuck
You won't, but you are probably more technically savvy then 99% of the world population. How many people pay $10 for an album of songs encoded @ 128Mbps and couldn't be happier?
Zargot
Aug 25, 09:00 AM
Has Dell or any other PC manufacturer started shipping Merom notebooks or Conroe PC's?
I haven't seen any Merom notebooks but the Conroe desktops have been shipping for a couple of weeks now.
I haven't seen any Merom notebooks but the Conroe desktops have been shipping for a couple of weeks now.
ingenious
Apr 15, 10:58 AM
Gee... Should we be impressed?
Are you telling perhaps that the fact you [say you] speak 2 languages makes it = you can not be stupid in anything, AND the fact that you live in Japan = you can not be ignorant?
I can think of many ignorant people who speak 2 or 3 times as many languages as you, and who have lived in more than 2 countries.
i like the part where he thot that just cuz he went/lives/lived in japan he's smarter than other people.... o and then the crack about americans not knowing what a primary school was! hey, i went to Primary school! and i live in the US!! LOL ;)
So please don't call other people names - This is a thread for discussion not a primary school (If you are American - a primary school is a elementary school)
04-10-2004 03:45 AM
i personally think you (imac_japan) are the most ignorant person ive met. sorry, but you are not better than us because you know all that japanese stuff. Since Im American, i guess i can say that since you know japanese, u just had a lot of time on your hands.. Seriously Im JK i wouldnt do that to someone just because they're from a diff country... (even tho u just did that to all americans! :D)
Are you telling perhaps that the fact you [say you] speak 2 languages makes it = you can not be stupid in anything, AND the fact that you live in Japan = you can not be ignorant?
I can think of many ignorant people who speak 2 or 3 times as many languages as you, and who have lived in more than 2 countries.
i like the part where he thot that just cuz he went/lives/lived in japan he's smarter than other people.... o and then the crack about americans not knowing what a primary school was! hey, i went to Primary school! and i live in the US!! LOL ;)
So please don't call other people names - This is a thread for discussion not a primary school (If you are American - a primary school is a elementary school)
04-10-2004 03:45 AM
i personally think you (imac_japan) are the most ignorant person ive met. sorry, but you are not better than us because you know all that japanese stuff. Since Im American, i guess i can say that since you know japanese, u just had a lot of time on your hands.. Seriously Im JK i wouldnt do that to someone just because they're from a diff country... (even tho u just did that to all americans! :D)
sluthy
Jan 3, 07:31 PM
The C2D upgrade happened in November. The 17s actually shipped toward the last part of November. I can't understand why anyone would think that an improvement is needed in the displays on the MBP line. Some of you must have extaordinary vision if you could expect the video to be crisper or any more HD than it is. When I am viewing HD TV on this MBP, it actually blows the picture that we get on our HDTV set. And movies are really realistic looking on this screen. I perceive that anyone wanting a major upgrade to what I am seeing right here is going after "bragging rights" .... But that is just MHO
I also own a bad A$$ custom built notebook with a kick butt video card and super duper display and I actually like this Mac better. Again ... MHO
:cool:
But the screen on the 17in MBP (1680x1050) by definition can't do HD (1920x1080). I don't care how well it can scale down, scaling down is not playing at true native resolution, and with most new content heading toward 1080i (and eventually 1080p), getting anything less than that now is just heading toward a dead end media wise IMO.
I also own a bad A$$ custom built notebook with a kick butt video card and super duper display and I actually like this Mac better. Again ... MHO
:cool:
But the screen on the 17in MBP (1680x1050) by definition can't do HD (1920x1080). I don't care how well it can scale down, scaling down is not playing at true native resolution, and with most new content heading toward 1080i (and eventually 1080p), getting anything less than that now is just heading toward a dead end media wise IMO.
AFPoster
Mar 22, 11:37 AM
I love how "gays" freak out when non-homosexual people do something. But yet when "gays" want to do something extreme it's because we don't accept them, so when they get in trouble it's a huge ordeal.
To me this is like the people that don't support war. If a veteran was killed in action and a funeral is happening they can picket the funeral all day long (talk about bull ****!) But yet if we don't let them picket they freak out scream free rights free rights. Well guess what those veterans (me included since I serve) gave them that freedom to stand there in picket.
Gays are the same way. I have no issue with gays, I don't agree with it but if your gay, be gay. Just don't expect the world to conform to your way of life, especially a country (United States) founded on Christianity. If anything go to a foreign country and complain then see how bad it really is to come out, unless it's Amsterdam, Iraq or Afghan they'll love your butt over there.
To me this is like the people that don't support war. If a veteran was killed in action and a funeral is happening they can picket the funeral all day long (talk about bull ****!) But yet if we don't let them picket they freak out scream free rights free rights. Well guess what those veterans (me included since I serve) gave them that freedom to stand there in picket.
Gays are the same way. I have no issue with gays, I don't agree with it but if your gay, be gay. Just don't expect the world to conform to your way of life, especially a country (United States) founded on Christianity. If anything go to a foreign country and complain then see how bad it really is to come out, unless it's Amsterdam, Iraq or Afghan they'll love your butt over there.
Zic
Oct 23, 06:06 PM
I know you will see that I've never posted before, so anything I say will probably be taken with a grain of salt. I don't blame you for not believing me, every Tuesday I am let down with all of you. If I am lying you can ban me from this forum, for whatever it's worth, I promise what I'm telling you is the truth. I see you guys are as antsy as I am about this update.
I know a person that works at an Apple Store as an inventory control specialist - I asked him back in July to tell me before hand if he knew when the Merom MacBook Pro was coming out. Today I got a text message from him saying, "(dan's) laptop might be coming out tomorrow." However, he thinks it's only a 15''.
Something is definitely planned to come out tomorrow. I know it's not concrete, but it gives me hope. I figured I would share.
I'm hoping he is wrong about the 15'' thing, I wanted a 17''. Either way, I'll take what I can get. I've been waitng too long.
Could he (your contact in the AS) have been anymore vague? Could it not simply be that he frequents the same websites we all do and noticed the increased MMBP chatter, or that his colleagues or perhaps the customers have brought the subject up. It doesn't take an "inventory control specialist" working in an Apple store to make that sort of prediction, these forums alone are proof of that.
I'm not saying you're making it all up, it's just I would have thought someone in a position like that would be able to provide some substance to backup such claims.
I, like the majority (and despite my scepticism), hope he's right though.
I know a person that works at an Apple Store as an inventory control specialist - I asked him back in July to tell me before hand if he knew when the Merom MacBook Pro was coming out. Today I got a text message from him saying, "(dan's) laptop might be coming out tomorrow." However, he thinks it's only a 15''.
Something is definitely planned to come out tomorrow. I know it's not concrete, but it gives me hope. I figured I would share.
I'm hoping he is wrong about the 15'' thing, I wanted a 17''. Either way, I'll take what I can get. I've been waitng too long.
Could he (your contact in the AS) have been anymore vague? Could it not simply be that he frequents the same websites we all do and noticed the increased MMBP chatter, or that his colleagues or perhaps the customers have brought the subject up. It doesn't take an "inventory control specialist" working in an Apple store to make that sort of prediction, these forums alone are proof of that.
I'm not saying you're making it all up, it's just I would have thought someone in a position like that would be able to provide some substance to backup such claims.
I, like the majority (and despite my scepticism), hope he's right though.
No comments:
Post a Comment