fatandconfused
Apr 19, 03:19 PM
Which is about a month away. I wonder how many buyers on the fence for this refresh will have the patience to wait even longer for the promotion.
Oh, and that's right, Lion should also be out in about 1-2 months after that as well. ;)
And then it'll be ivy bridge and then they'll release a 30" version and the wait goes on...i'm getting a 27" refurb july 2010 model once the new ones come out, hopefully for a further discounted price. It'll do the trick for me.
Oh, and that's right, Lion should also be out in about 1-2 months after that as well. ;)
And then it'll be ivy bridge and then they'll release a 30" version and the wait goes on...i'm getting a 27" refurb july 2010 model once the new ones come out, hopefully for a further discounted price. It'll do the trick for me.

cecildk9999
Nov 28, 10:03 AM
I know that it's not quite fair to compare the two right out of the launch (a baby product versus a mature one), but MS didn't help themselves by setting up this product to compete directly with the iPod. If they had tried to target a different market (maybe primarily video as opposed to music), they might have more success, and let the hype build from there. But the way they seem to be playing it now, they're going to just throw a lot of money into something that will be in Apple's shadow. It'll offer a compelling alternative to some, but will not necessarily convince too many to become switchers. :p

jxyama
Mar 20, 01:19 PM
I just want to add that Apple would sell more computers if one was cheaper.....
yes, this is true. but apple is not in the business to sell more computers. apple is in the business to turn profits.
tiffany's would sell more diamond rings if they cut the price in half.
BMW would sell more cars if they cut the price by 30%.
...but so what?
yes, this is true. but apple is not in the business to sell more computers. apple is in the business to turn profits.
tiffany's would sell more diamond rings if they cut the price in half.
BMW would sell more cars if they cut the price by 30%.
...but so what?
aquajet
Sep 6, 09:08 AM
A thread on the new mac mini where everybody is bitching about the MacBook and the new iMac G5. :confused: :rolleyes:
As a side note, I think I'll buy a new mini now...
As a side note, I think I'll buy a new mini now...
ecoons
Jan 11, 10:15 PM
I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but after looking at http://www.ecoupled.com/
I can't help but think that Apple could come up with a user-friendly way of implementing this sort of technology. I personally think its only a matter of time before ALL chords are "cut". You set your iPod on your desk, it charges through inductive currents, your headphones do the same and communicate with your iPod through bluetooth (or some other wireless medium)...etc. And your computer, also, has no wires. Electricity is passed to it in the same sort of way. Now, wouldn't that be cool :)
"There's something in the air"
Maybe its just wishful thinking ;)
[Note: After being a long time READER of Mac Rumors, I have officially made my first post.]
I can't help but think that Apple could come up with a user-friendly way of implementing this sort of technology. I personally think its only a matter of time before ALL chords are "cut". You set your iPod on your desk, it charges through inductive currents, your headphones do the same and communicate with your iPod through bluetooth (or some other wireless medium)...etc. And your computer, also, has no wires. Electricity is passed to it in the same sort of way. Now, wouldn't that be cool :)
"There's something in the air"
Maybe its just wishful thinking ;)
[Note: After being a long time READER of Mac Rumors, I have officially made my first post.]
PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 01:02 PM
for me, this would go into the "who cares" column. i don't need another notebook no matter how thin it is. what i need is a sub notebook. i don't believe a thinner notebook would garner all of this much attention. not a big enough deal. not the apple style. MacBook Air. i have to say no way.
i'll go out on a limb and say the "air" has something to do with a new wireless network to replace the stupid EDGE network.
Maybe its not just thinner, maybe its got some special feautre(s)! Or maybe it has a multi-touch display!
i'll go out on a limb and say the "air" has something to do with a new wireless network to replace the stupid EDGE network.
Maybe its not just thinner, maybe its got some special feautre(s)! Or maybe it has a multi-touch display!
ValSalva
Jun 23, 11:42 AM
"I don't want fingerprints on my screen!".... Well then don't run any apps that are touch enabled. Run any and all of your keyboard/mouse apps you want to all day long.
If it were only that easy. The real fear is that developers will mess up good apps by making touch necessary because they think that's what people want.
And... Have you ever been to a bar and seen those coin operated touch screen card game thingies? I worked at a bar for many years and I've seen people play them for hours at a time. It's not as bad as everyone fears.
Play and work are not the same.
I would like very much to see a mix of traditional OS X and iOS touch capabilities. I see kids software selling like mad. I've been working on a custom page layout app for a classifieds type of paper. Some touch for Drag-N-Drop operations in parts of it would be a welcome addition.
That's great. Apple would become the dumbed-down childrens computer company.
If it were only that easy. The real fear is that developers will mess up good apps by making touch necessary because they think that's what people want.
And... Have you ever been to a bar and seen those coin operated touch screen card game thingies? I worked at a bar for many years and I've seen people play them for hours at a time. It's not as bad as everyone fears.
Play and work are not the same.
I would like very much to see a mix of traditional OS X and iOS touch capabilities. I see kids software selling like mad. I've been working on a custom page layout app for a classifieds type of paper. Some touch for Drag-N-Drop operations in parts of it would be a welcome addition.
That's great. Apple would become the dumbed-down childrens computer company.
bedifferent
Apr 2, 09:48 PM
I noticed that I had around 15.6gb on my 25gb partition just before installing the update. Afterward I have 17.32. It could be that some settings or cache or whatever in some places have been reset. I know that my Launchpad needs to have apps placed back into it, but that couldn't take up that much space(?). Could be something else I haven't seen yet.
All that I have on the Lion partition is the OS install. Even my Home directory is pointed to that on my Snow Leopard partition.
Do you have "local snapshots" on in "Time Machine"? If so, it creates a hidden folder of saved data, snapshots, and it fills up quickly. You can uncheck it, then delete the hidden folder (I think it was in my Home folder). Local snapshots is still a rough beta, they're fleshing it out still.
All that I have on the Lion partition is the OS install. Even my Home directory is pointed to that on my Snow Leopard partition.
Do you have "local snapshots" on in "Time Machine"? If so, it creates a hidden folder of saved data, snapshots, and it fills up quickly. You can uncheck it, then delete the hidden folder (I think it was in my Home folder). Local snapshots is still a rough beta, they're fleshing it out still.
63dot
Jan 5, 12:31 AM
NICE!!! I use to have a '71 2002. Granted it had rotted rockers, faded paint and a leaking rear main seal. But the thing started on the coldest day of the year. I loved that car. I'll try to dig up pics.
That's the old BMW for you, tough as nails. I wish BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes still made cars like they used to but building cars that rugged and long lasting is terrible for the bottom line.
I see more '70s BMWs than '80s models out there and it's probably around then that they got smart and built in obsolescence. That being said, I loved the look of the '80s BMWs and at the time, and I thought they were making a huge step up from the 2002. Little did we know.
That's the old BMW for you, tough as nails. I wish BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes still made cars like they used to but building cars that rugged and long lasting is terrible for the bottom line.
I see more '70s BMWs than '80s models out there and it's probably around then that they got smart and built in obsolescence. That being said, I loved the look of the '80s BMWs and at the time, and I thought they were making a huge step up from the 2002. Little did we know.
vartanarsen
Apr 21, 12:04 PM
great. This is exactly what I want my senators to be working on.
Cloudgazer
Nov 28, 05:06 AM
I'm surprised no one has ventured a guess as to whether these 17" monitors are going to be glossy or matte.
;)
;)
iMeowbot
Nov 29, 03:11 PM
According to Bob Cringley:
"�The USB port is clearly intended for an Apple iSight camera, a webcam to go with your HDTV."
Cringely comes up with some interesting thoughts, I'll say that :) There are much more mundane possibilities, like a keyboard to facilitate content purchases or iPod connectivity.
"�The USB port is clearly intended for an Apple iSight camera, a webcam to go with your HDTV."
Cringely comes up with some interesting thoughts, I'll say that :) There are much more mundane possibilities, like a keyboard to facilitate content purchases or iPod connectivity.
hyperpasta
Sep 1, 03:02 PM
Apple used to have all-in-ones, consumer towers, pro towers, etc. Remember the PowerMac 6400? Too many products is too confusing for the consumer. If that means that a couple of people can't get the exact configuration they want, so be it.
Not more products... more BTO options. Here's my ideal line.
Mac Cube - $499
Low-end Conroe
512MB RAM
80GB HD (full-size)
Superdrive
Intel Graphics
Mac Cube - $699
Mid-end Conroe
1GB RAM
120GB HD
Superdrive
Intel Graphics
All BTO... up to mid-end Conroe, 4GB of RAM, real video card, and even a 500GB HD!
iMac
As it is now, but modernized specs and low to mid-Conroe. BTO DOWNgradable to the current "education" model.
Mac Pro
Also as it is now.
MacBook White - $999
Low-End Merom
1GB RAM
60GB HD
Combo Drive
Intel Graphics
13" Matte Display
MacBook White - $1299
Mid-End Merom
1GB RAM
80GB HD
Superdrive
Intel Graphics
13" Matte Display
BOTH models are equally upgradable... to 2GB RAM, 100GB HD, Low-End Graphics Card.
MacBook Pro 15" - $1799
High-End Merom
1GB RAM
80GB HD
Superdrive
128MB Graphics
15" Matte Display
MacBook Pro 17" - $1999
Same as 15" with 17" screen.
See? FEWER models, more BTO. Much easier to find a Mac you agree with.
Not more products... more BTO options. Here's my ideal line.
Mac Cube - $499
Low-end Conroe
512MB RAM
80GB HD (full-size)
Superdrive
Intel Graphics
Mac Cube - $699
Mid-end Conroe
1GB RAM
120GB HD
Superdrive
Intel Graphics
All BTO... up to mid-end Conroe, 4GB of RAM, real video card, and even a 500GB HD!
iMac
As it is now, but modernized specs and low to mid-Conroe. BTO DOWNgradable to the current "education" model.
Mac Pro
Also as it is now.
MacBook White - $999
Low-End Merom
1GB RAM
60GB HD
Combo Drive
Intel Graphics
13" Matte Display
MacBook White - $1299
Mid-End Merom
1GB RAM
80GB HD
Superdrive
Intel Graphics
13" Matte Display
BOTH models are equally upgradable... to 2GB RAM, 100GB HD, Low-End Graphics Card.
MacBook Pro 15" - $1799
High-End Merom
1GB RAM
80GB HD
Superdrive
128MB Graphics
15" Matte Display
MacBook Pro 17" - $1999
Same as 15" with 17" screen.
See? FEWER models, more BTO. Much easier to find a Mac you agree with.
ghostlyorb
Mar 22, 08:08 PM
Good I'm glad! I might get one.. I hate having to look down at my phone while driving to change the song.
Yakuza
Nov 24, 10:08 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41C0o2GAJGL._SS500_.jpg
Props if anyone knows who used that bag.
i would say Indidana Jones, but i'm not sure
Props if anyone knows who used that bag.
i would say Indidana Jones, but i'm not sure
Spoony
Apr 26, 02:07 PM
apple created a storefront they called "app store"
amazon creates a store front that does the same t hing called the "appstore"
apple wins in this situation.
ding ding ding. I agree.
The store is called the App Store. You can't copy someones store name.
I can't call my store Target or Walmart. The names are already taken and famous. It's like cyber squatting on Madonna.com. you can't b/c madonna is already mega famous. She could just take it from you.
McDonalds can't sue Burger King for the name b/c they are way different but sell similar products.
If Burger Kind called their Store Mcdonalds but put in a lowercase D now I think McDonalds would and should sue the crap out of them.
Reminds me of coming to america. they've got the Big Mac, We've got the big Mic.
amazon creates a store front that does the same t hing called the "appstore"
apple wins in this situation.
ding ding ding. I agree.
The store is called the App Store. You can't copy someones store name.
I can't call my store Target or Walmart. The names are already taken and famous. It's like cyber squatting on Madonna.com. you can't b/c madonna is already mega famous. She could just take it from you.
McDonalds can't sue Burger King for the name b/c they are way different but sell similar products.
If Burger Kind called their Store Mcdonalds but put in a lowercase D now I think McDonalds would and should sue the crap out of them.
Reminds me of coming to america. they've got the Big Mac, We've got the big Mic.
Laird Knox
Mar 27, 01:38 AM
OH noooos, you gots me theres. ;) It's not exactly easy to takes 'some' of me toys with me, but as a trade off I get an absolutely superior experience on all fronts. There are NO compromises to my controls. I get top notch visuals now that are much better than what can be done on dated consoles like the PS3 and 360, and at a much higher frame rate.
I have an iPad, I'm getting an iPad 2 for compatibility testing. I have a great phone that's similar to my iPad performance wise -- which I can plug a Wiimote into and play a ton of old games. I have a DS and I'm getting a 3DS.
I have portability for entertainment and there's nothing stoping me from bringing my PC, wheel, etc. to my friend's place, something I've done.
Who care's if the future iPad is up to par with a 360 visually as an example, it will still be subpar compared to my PC now and chances are it will still lack proper inputs.
If I wan to play a casual exploration game, a time killer, something that has fun direct interaction like World of Goo, I'll pull out my iPad. But for racing or any game that just plays better with a mouse, a wheel, a flightstick, and so on, I really can't care that my iPad or any future version is portable, if it makes playing these types of games lame.
Oh yay! These forums attract the angry Microsoft supporters, Android yahoos and now the rabid gamers are feeling insecure. We should all petition Apple to stop making compelling devices!
I have an iPad, I'm getting an iPad 2 for compatibility testing. I have a great phone that's similar to my iPad performance wise -- which I can plug a Wiimote into and play a ton of old games. I have a DS and I'm getting a 3DS.
I have portability for entertainment and there's nothing stoping me from bringing my PC, wheel, etc. to my friend's place, something I've done.
Who care's if the future iPad is up to par with a 360 visually as an example, it will still be subpar compared to my PC now and chances are it will still lack proper inputs.
If I wan to play a casual exploration game, a time killer, something that has fun direct interaction like World of Goo, I'll pull out my iPad. But for racing or any game that just plays better with a mouse, a wheel, a flightstick, and so on, I really can't care that my iPad or any future version is portable, if it makes playing these types of games lame.
Oh yay! These forums attract the angry Microsoft supporters, Android yahoos and now the rabid gamers are feeling insecure. We should all petition Apple to stop making compelling devices!
iceterminal
Sep 14, 01:46 PM
Rehashing old news for front page?
Consumer reports said they gave it a non recommendation months ago, they haven't change it.
So why re-reporting the same thing?
Thats like a cop saying "STOP! Or I'll say stop again!" :rolleyes:
Consumer reports said they gave it a non recommendation months ago, they haven't change it.
So why re-reporting the same thing?
Thats like a cop saying "STOP! Or I'll say stop again!" :rolleyes:
critter13
Mar 25, 05:01 PM
I think this is a glimpse of what will be achievable with AirPlay technology. visible controls on the device, and maps like in this case, with the gameplay pushed to big screen thru :apple:tv2
DeSnousa
Sep 6, 06:45 PM
i just hope the quality is good
My thoughts exactly, the current quality is to dry, especially considering the new iMac 24" :)
Also, bring the movies to the other world stores, please Apple :(
My thoughts exactly, the current quality is to dry, especially considering the new iMac 24" :)
Also, bring the movies to the other world stores, please Apple :(
evilgEEk
Jul 18, 08:16 PM
i wouldnt even pay a $1.99 if the resolution is the same as the current video content on iTunes... HORRID!
I'm definitely with you there. I want to both rent and purchase movies, but if they're going to be 320x240 then forget it. I'm not paying my hard-earned cash for that.
DVD quality and at least 5.1 surround is what I would require before I rented any movies from Apple.
I'm definitely with you there. I want to both rent and purchase movies, but if they're going to be 320x240 then forget it. I'm not paying my hard-earned cash for that.
DVD quality and at least 5.1 surround is what I would require before I rented any movies from Apple.
Torrijos
Apr 19, 01:03 PM
Sure iMacs have replaced desktop in a lot of creatives offices, but this might change with the adoption of Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL by developers. Finally allowing the full use of a Mac Pro by those who need it (like with the next Final Cut X).
What could be cool though would be that Apple allows a little bit of modularity in the iMac...
Besides allowing for the user to upgrade the RAM, SSDs slot(s) could be available in the same opening so the user could add SDD themselves (with the same form factor as MBA's SSD).
That alone would be an amazing upgrade for the iMac, allowing the clients to push back such an expensive upgrade without too much pressure, hell another trap door to give access to the hard drive.
What could be cool though would be that Apple allows a little bit of modularity in the iMac...
Besides allowing for the user to upgrade the RAM, SSDs slot(s) could be available in the same opening so the user could add SDD themselves (with the same form factor as MBA's SSD).
That alone would be an amazing upgrade for the iMac, allowing the clients to push back such an expensive upgrade without too much pressure, hell another trap door to give access to the hard drive.
emotion
Nov 28, 05:07 AM
I'm surprised no one has ventured a guess as to whether these 17" monitors are going to be glossy or matte.
;)
:D :D :D
Cue 10 page heated argument.
;)
:D :D :D
Cue 10 page heated argument.
KnightWRX
Apr 16, 08:48 PM
That explains a lot. being 16 means he has very little real experience in driving and a pure rookie at it. The joy of driving is still in his system. Now days most of the time driving for me is a way to get from A to B.
I'm 32, still love driving, go to empty parking lots in winter to drift my Subaru around for fun (freaked out my girlfriend when I did it to her then brand new, sub-1000 km Kia Soul last January, which parking-brake drifted like a champ, even pulling a donut around another car, to much screaming and freaking out from the owner/passenger).
In the summer, I rip through country back roads for the kick of it, though nowadays, it's on my Harley rather than in my long lost loves (the 2.2L VTEC integra or the WRX) often leaving in the cold air of dawn to come back as dusk settles over the fields around my house.
You don't quit driving because you get old, you get old because you quit driving.
Driving in traffic every day like i said really made me consider going Automatic. hard to do a low speed crawl in a manual.
I find playing around with the clutch's friction point much easier than constant braking/not braking. Not to mention these days, on the motorcycle, what the hell is traffic anyhow ? You mean the obstacle course I use as a playground riding back from work to the gym ?
I'm 32, still love driving, go to empty parking lots in winter to drift my Subaru around for fun (freaked out my girlfriend when I did it to her then brand new, sub-1000 km Kia Soul last January, which parking-brake drifted like a champ, even pulling a donut around another car, to much screaming and freaking out from the owner/passenger).
In the summer, I rip through country back roads for the kick of it, though nowadays, it's on my Harley rather than in my long lost loves (the 2.2L VTEC integra or the WRX) often leaving in the cold air of dawn to come back as dusk settles over the fields around my house.
You don't quit driving because you get old, you get old because you quit driving.
Driving in traffic every day like i said really made me consider going Automatic. hard to do a low speed crawl in a manual.
I find playing around with the clutch's friction point much easier than constant braking/not braking. Not to mention these days, on the motorcycle, what the hell is traffic anyhow ? You mean the obstacle course I use as a playground riding back from work to the gym ?
No comments:
Post a Comment