AppleScruff1
Apr 25, 05:50 PM
Yes, that is the Apple mentality. No more is it about making the best machine, but about making it "good enough". That speech in 2008 with the intro of the Unibody MacBook with the then nVidia 9400m where Apple realises "graphics are important and boy did we pack this thing with graphics power!" is gone.
You're right. I should just eat my pill and accept the lesser GPU. :rolleyes:
The only thing holding me back from a Mac before 2008 was the Intel GPU. The only thing that will hold me back from purchasing a new one after this is Air is... Intel graphics.
But you just know that it will sell in record numbers regardless. Even if it was an empty shell, people will buy them. That's the beauty of Apple marketing.
You're right. I should just eat my pill and accept the lesser GPU. :rolleyes:
The only thing holding me back from a Mac before 2008 was the Intel GPU. The only thing that will hold me back from purchasing a new one after this is Air is... Intel graphics.
But you just know that it will sell in record numbers regardless. Even if it was an empty shell, people will buy them. That's the beauty of Apple marketing.
barkomatic
Apr 4, 11:43 AM
I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often. Applestores must be filled with cash. I would think one would be a bit easier to rob than a bank.
RollTide
Apr 30, 01:36 PM
Love your Avatar. Sad day though for Michael Scott.
loungecorps
May 1, 01:23 AM
Curious that everyone is clamoring for a thunderbolt-enabled machine, but there isn't a single thunderbolt drive available on the market.
I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.
post production just got cheaper because of this. thunderbolt is being adopted quickly by company's the manufacture video equpment
I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.
post production just got cheaper because of this. thunderbolt is being adopted quickly by company's the manufacture video equpment
floam
Aug 28, 07:51 PM
.
miranon
Aug 28, 05:53 PM
They were not the first with core duo, nor with woodrest.
Mac Rules
Sep 13, 12:22 AM
How do you use the search function guys?
Also, how do you ge the littel letter to appear, when scrolling through your playlists etc..
Cheers
Also, how do you ge the littel letter to appear, when scrolling through your playlists etc..
Cheers
Donz0r
Sep 13, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone! I've been a daily MacRumors.com nerd for about 2 years now, but I never took the time to register until today...
I am definitely going to buy an Apple phone when and if it becomes available. I'm sure they'll get the design and interface right, as they always do. I saw someone post something on here (or maybe it was another recent thread) claiming their friend saw the Apple phone branded as a Samsung at a mobile phone convention just recently (which I totally doubt, they would never bring it out in public before release)... I think they're talking about this phone:
[image removed]
I love the design of it, but I'm really not sure if Apple would abondon the click wheel on their first step into the cell phone market. One part of me wishes they would go with a full touch screen, but I think the click wheel will make it easier to market to the masses of iPod lovers.
touch screen dialing sucks, not being able to feel buttons is actually a big deal, even though most numbers are dialed through contacts list.
consumers won't fly for the touch screen thing, we have to remember apple is targeting the average american consumer, not us techno-nerdy macrumors folk
I am definitely going to buy an Apple phone when and if it becomes available. I'm sure they'll get the design and interface right, as they always do. I saw someone post something on here (or maybe it was another recent thread) claiming their friend saw the Apple phone branded as a Samsung at a mobile phone convention just recently (which I totally doubt, they would never bring it out in public before release)... I think they're talking about this phone:
[image removed]
I love the design of it, but I'm really not sure if Apple would abondon the click wheel on their first step into the cell phone market. One part of me wishes they would go with a full touch screen, but I think the click wheel will make it easier to market to the masses of iPod lovers.
touch screen dialing sucks, not being able to feel buttons is actually a big deal, even though most numbers are dialed through contacts list.
consumers won't fly for the touch screen thing, we have to remember apple is targeting the average american consumer, not us techno-nerdy macrumors folk
ChazUK
Apr 19, 12:29 PM
Not sure if everyone's already seen it but this is a great read from Nilay Patel: http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/19/apple-sues-samsung-analysis/

someguy
Oct 12, 09:48 PM
I have to pay an extra $10 and that goes where?
First of all, you don't have to do anything.
Second, have you been reading this thread at all?
First of all, you don't have to do anything.
Second, have you been reading this thread at all?
caity13cait
Sep 19, 03:09 PM
Didn't Steve say in his keynote how long it would be until Europe got movies? I could have sworn it was October.
Mousse
Apr 11, 03:45 PM
Taxes, cell phone fees, gas and car prices are higher here. Pay for professional jobs also seems relatively lower compared to the US.
Lottery and Gambling winnings are tax exempt. I wish the Canadians would annex Vegas.;) All my card counting skills is lining Uncle Sam's pockets.:mad: And if I get caught, the medical bills for fixing my thumbs won't come out of my pockets.;)
Lottery and Gambling winnings are tax exempt. I wish the Canadians would annex Vegas.;) All my card counting skills is lining Uncle Sam's pockets.:mad: And if I get caught, the medical bills for fixing my thumbs won't come out of my pockets.;)
iMikeT
Sep 9, 02:53 AM
I wonder how the 24" iMac equiped with a 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo would fare in that benchmark.
Peace
Sep 5, 06:04 PM
I'll think about it. I think it's covered by "video to tv via dvi>hdmi cable for hdtv or analogue connection for sdtv". Which you obviously missed?
Try looking at the pic again. And read the stuff. All of it.
Read my previous post :)
Try looking at the pic again. And read the stuff. All of it.
Read my previous post :)
Amazing Iceman
Apr 4, 08:54 AM
Ive used Macs for 20 years with no antivirus software; never had a virus
Only heard rumours of any out in the wild-like sightings of bigfoot
Never seen a huge Microsoft type hoopla over some new virus-of-the month crisis
* Apple: No longer flying under the radar
No, my friend, you are wrong. it's not Bigfoot.
It's the Chupacabra! Well..., at least the McAfee version. :D
Only heard rumours of any out in the wild-like sightings of bigfoot
Never seen a huge Microsoft type hoopla over some new virus-of-the month crisis
* Apple: No longer flying under the radar
No, my friend, you are wrong. it's not Bigfoot.
It's the Chupacabra! Well..., at least the McAfee version. :D
daneoni
Sep 12, 03:14 PM
my thoughts exactly... there aren't that much of a difference, right??
anyway, hey, are the search functions gonna be attainable for the last 5gen ipod as well ? with the software update??? i wish that's the case......please
i've been desperately looking for the reasons as to stick to the old 5gen which i bought just yesterday
There are no major differences but if i were you i'd go back and trade for the new one or just return the iPod and order a new one. Your window is soo close not to upgrade.
It doesnt look like the new software features will be added to current 5G iPods. My iPod software just updated and only game functions were added.
anyway, hey, are the search functions gonna be attainable for the last 5gen ipod as well ? with the software update??? i wish that's the case......please
i've been desperately looking for the reasons as to stick to the old 5gen which i bought just yesterday
There are no major differences but if i were you i'd go back and trade for the new one or just return the iPod and order a new one. Your window is soo close not to upgrade.
It doesnt look like the new software features will be added to current 5G iPods. My iPod software just updated and only game functions were added.
FreeState
Oct 12, 04:17 PM
The mortality rate of HIV is far higher in men than in women - and it always has been. You look this up very easily all over the web, on the CDC's website, and any number of other places... it's very clear. But if you really want to go there, here's an empirical medical fact: at its worst levels of infection (in the mid 1990s), HIV mortality rates were nearly 30 per 100,000 for men, and barely over 5 per 100,000 in women. Look it up.
Maybe we miss understand each other here, but Im talking about mortality rates of woman and children WITH HIV. Not mortality rates of all women and children. Those are two totally different things...
See...
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/455527
Although in some studies HIV infection does not progress more rapidly in women than in men,[12] there does seem to be a propensity among women to progress from AIDS to death more quickly. Delayed diagnosis of HIV-1 infection could explain a more rapid progression to AIDS. Escalating numbers of women contract HIV-1 infection each year, with increasing morbidity and mortality as a result of underrecognition and undertreatment of the disease compared with that in men.[2] Identification of at-risk women is a crucial step in ensuring adequate treatment. A recent study in Baltimore showed that women who use crack or cocaine but not intravenous drugs may still be at great risk for HIV infection because of their involvement in high-risk sexual behaviors and their history of multiple partners.[13] Thus, the range of women who are at risk is broader than initially was realized.
and
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9C0CE0D8143BF93BA15751C1A962958260
Women With H.I.V. Found to Die Faster Than Men
Women who are infected with the virus that causes AIDS die faster than men with the infection, a large study has found.
No medical reason for the difference was apparent, said the study's authors, led by Dr. Sandra L. Melnick, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. They suggested that women may wait until they are sicker before seeking care or may be treated differently.
The study tracked 768 women and 3,779 men, all infected with H.I.V., the human immunodeficiency virus, for about 15 months and found that women were 33 percent more likely to die than men who were comparably ill when they were enrolled in the study.
Maybe we miss understand each other here, but Im talking about mortality rates of woman and children WITH HIV. Not mortality rates of all women and children. Those are two totally different things...
See...
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/455527
Although in some studies HIV infection does not progress more rapidly in women than in men,[12] there does seem to be a propensity among women to progress from AIDS to death more quickly. Delayed diagnosis of HIV-1 infection could explain a more rapid progression to AIDS. Escalating numbers of women contract HIV-1 infection each year, with increasing morbidity and mortality as a result of underrecognition and undertreatment of the disease compared with that in men.[2] Identification of at-risk women is a crucial step in ensuring adequate treatment. A recent study in Baltimore showed that women who use crack or cocaine but not intravenous drugs may still be at great risk for HIV infection because of their involvement in high-risk sexual behaviors and their history of multiple partners.[13] Thus, the range of women who are at risk is broader than initially was realized.
and
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9C0CE0D8143BF93BA15751C1A962958260
Women With H.I.V. Found to Die Faster Than Men
Women who are infected with the virus that causes AIDS die faster than men with the infection, a large study has found.
No medical reason for the difference was apparent, said the study's authors, led by Dr. Sandra L. Melnick, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. They suggested that women may wait until they are sicker before seeking care or may be treated differently.
The study tracked 768 women and 3,779 men, all infected with H.I.V., the human immunodeficiency virus, for about 15 months and found that women were 33 percent more likely to die than men who were comparably ill when they were enrolled in the study.
Calidude
Mar 23, 06:10 PM
Lets leave these apps alone and put the Senators in jail.
sinsin07
Mar 23, 06:17 PM
you don't think a web app will pop up for this the second these apps are removed from the store?
***I am 100% against drunk driving, if you drive drunk you are ignorant and should be put in jail. period.
Point not relevant. Apple runs the biggest app store in the world with the most desired devices on the planet, as evidences by 200 people standing in line at the Fifth Ave store at 5:55 AM in the rain this morning,, 12 days after the release of the iPad2.
***I am 100% against drunk driving, if you drive drunk you are ignorant and should be put in jail. period.
Point not relevant. Apple runs the biggest app store in the world with the most desired devices on the planet, as evidences by 200 people standing in line at the Fifth Ave store at 5:55 AM in the rain this morning,, 12 days after the release of the iPad2.
pondosinatra
Mar 24, 08:42 AM
Im with you on the glossy iMacs, there AWFUL to actually sit in front of and use for any lenght of time, talk about eye strain.
MATT option iMac and im there in a flash, but im not holding out hope, the �1600 ive sat waiting for a new desktop is more and more likely going towards a home built i7 sandybridge rig, and windows 7 so that when i sit with my back to the window the screen doesnt just refelect the outside world and i have to squint through it rather than just see what im working on. I dont need a tree or a bus in my spreadsheets or word documents thank you apple.
I Love my Macbook pro, with its MATT screen, i cant justify a MacPro expense, and the Mac Mini just doesnt cut it at the graphics card level, so that leaves the iMac, love the form factor, love the OS, hate the unusable migrane inducing shiney screen.
However,
the iPad i prefer the glossy screen, same with the iPhone, but then the occasions ill be using an iPad require me to have a bright colour screen for PDFs, and the lighting is usually bad enough that the reflective qualities are not a problem.
Well it looks like my iMac will meet the minimum specs for Lion, so I might upgrade, but then that's it for me. I'll probably go to Linux or some alternative operating system. - Maybe I'll crack out my NeXT Dimension Cube :D
MATT option iMac and im there in a flash, but im not holding out hope, the �1600 ive sat waiting for a new desktop is more and more likely going towards a home built i7 sandybridge rig, and windows 7 so that when i sit with my back to the window the screen doesnt just refelect the outside world and i have to squint through it rather than just see what im working on. I dont need a tree or a bus in my spreadsheets or word documents thank you apple.
I Love my Macbook pro, with its MATT screen, i cant justify a MacPro expense, and the Mac Mini just doesnt cut it at the graphics card level, so that leaves the iMac, love the form factor, love the OS, hate the unusable migrane inducing shiney screen.
However,
the iPad i prefer the glossy screen, same with the iPhone, but then the occasions ill be using an iPad require me to have a bright colour screen for PDFs, and the lighting is usually bad enough that the reflective qualities are not a problem.
Well it looks like my iMac will meet the minimum specs for Lion, so I might upgrade, but then that's it for me. I'll probably go to Linux or some alternative operating system. - Maybe I'll crack out my NeXT Dimension Cube :D
pengu
Sep 18, 08:34 AM
You are right. I make a call. i expect to pay for it. i dont expect the person im calling to get billed for the damn call.
and. as for pricing. yes, vodafone have a 1c/sec flat rate on calls. but. i pay $79/month and at the end of the my account has a automatic refund (of sorts) applied, so anything up to $500 in calls/txt/etc is included in the $79.
i DO use my mobile for most calls. i use my landline maybe once a week, because it has a better speakerphone if im using it for a long time.
and. as for pricing. yes, vodafone have a 1c/sec flat rate on calls. but. i pay $79/month and at the end of the my account has a automatic refund (of sorts) applied, so anything up to $500 in calls/txt/etc is included in the $79.
i DO use my mobile for most calls. i use my landline maybe once a week, because it has a better speakerphone if im using it for a long time.
fblack
Sep 10, 06:11 PM
Do you really want to use a monitor from 10 years ago in everyday use? Not likely. I've a 15" CRT from about a decade ago too but it's sitting on a shelf as a spare in case my newer monitor dies.
Most times I've bought a new computer, I've also bought a new monitor. A widescreen 17" monitor back when I bought my iMac was extortionately expensive. I generally figure on spending about �15-1800 every three years on a computer and about 5-6 years of useful life. It's been going up from a G3 iBook to a 17" G5 Mac to a fully kitted out 24" iMac for that money. I can't imagine what it will be in 3 - 6 years time but I guess it'll make a 24" iMac feel just as obsolete as the 500Mhz G3 iBook with a 1024x768 screen feels.
I have to conclude that people who want to use their 10 year old CRT are just incredibly cheap and don't value their screens as much as being able to claim how fast their CPU is. I've been programming for 20+ years professionally and your screen isn't something to skimp on. It's THE most important thing if you value your eyes.
I think you mistook the slant of my post. Notice the big grin face at the end of my sentence in the previous post? I meant it half in jest. It does not mean that as I type I am staring at a 14" screen. As far as my 6 yr old CRT that died it was a 19inch not a tiny screen and certainly hefty at about 60lbs. My 10yr old CRT that has been permanently retired now was in fact used as a backup monitor for my old beige G3. I've had more than one monitor go before and having a backup even if it has small screen real estate can save your bacon if you've got work to do. :p
I would love to have the budget to replace all of my equipment every 3 years like you can but I dont have that luxury. If I can have a piece of equipment last a little longer you may call it cheap from your fancy perch, but I call it frugal. Good budgeting should never be sneered at...:D
Most times I've bought a new computer, I've also bought a new monitor. A widescreen 17" monitor back when I bought my iMac was extortionately expensive. I generally figure on spending about �15-1800 every three years on a computer and about 5-6 years of useful life. It's been going up from a G3 iBook to a 17" G5 Mac to a fully kitted out 24" iMac for that money. I can't imagine what it will be in 3 - 6 years time but I guess it'll make a 24" iMac feel just as obsolete as the 500Mhz G3 iBook with a 1024x768 screen feels.
I have to conclude that people who want to use their 10 year old CRT are just incredibly cheap and don't value their screens as much as being able to claim how fast their CPU is. I've been programming for 20+ years professionally and your screen isn't something to skimp on. It's THE most important thing if you value your eyes.
I think you mistook the slant of my post. Notice the big grin face at the end of my sentence in the previous post? I meant it half in jest. It does not mean that as I type I am staring at a 14" screen. As far as my 6 yr old CRT that died it was a 19inch not a tiny screen and certainly hefty at about 60lbs. My 10yr old CRT that has been permanently retired now was in fact used as a backup monitor for my old beige G3. I've had more than one monitor go before and having a backup even if it has small screen real estate can save your bacon if you've got work to do. :p
I would love to have the budget to replace all of my equipment every 3 years like you can but I dont have that luxury. If I can have a piece of equipment last a little longer you may call it cheap from your fancy perch, but I call it frugal. Good budgeting should never be sneered at...:D
April Dancer
Aug 31, 12:30 PM
Please please please iPods or phone.
Happy birthday to me!! :)
*not getting excited, been here before!*
Happy birthday to me!! :)
*not getting excited, been here before!*
Machead III
Sep 3, 09:25 AM
Well, I just sold my iMac, so I'm coming to you all from the tiny screen of my Nokia N70.
I'm looking to aquire a MacBook. Here in the UK we have our iPod rebate deal until mid-October, which will effectively knock the price of a Nano on eBay off the price of my machine.
What would you say, will there be MacBooks before mid-October? I don't want to wait any longer than that. Should I bother waiting or buy now?
I'm looking to aquire a MacBook. Here in the UK we have our iPod rebate deal until mid-October, which will effectively knock the price of a Nano on eBay off the price of my machine.
What would you say, will there be MacBooks before mid-October? I don't want to wait any longer than that. Should I bother waiting or buy now?
No comments:
Post a Comment