
Amazing Iceman
Mar 30, 12:00 PM
Examples of uses (Dvorak in his references to "killer app"):
2005: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-k...or-real-estate
2004: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1599324,00.asp
2003: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1191830,00.asp
What I understood is that the word "App" by itself is not the reason for the lawsuit, but the term "App Store" is; both words used together.
2005: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-k...or-real-estate
2004: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1599324,00.asp
2003: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1191830,00.asp
What I understood is that the word "App" by itself is not the reason for the lawsuit, but the term "App Store" is; both words used together.
agmaster
Apr 25, 01:05 PM
Carbon Fiber body... Now that would be amazing!
kevin.rivers
Jul 14, 11:19 AM
What's up with the personal insults? If you want to pay top dollar for incremental increases that's your choice. Most of us "professionals" would prefer the fastest systems available, because as we all know, time is money!
1: Where is this personal insult you speak of? You could have said this in the original post, instead you decided to call my comment "silly" with no reasoning. That is a personal insult, not to mention childish.
2: I don't pay top dollar for incremental increase. Why the assumption?
3: Professionals may upgrade processors, but they don't overclock. Overclocking causes instability and decreases the life of the chip. And take time to do it correctly. If time is money, then a professional doesn't have time to tinker with the FSB and multipliers for hours, then stability test at every change.
4: The poster was saying he wouldn't buy a MBP unless it was swappable or overclockable, which since the dawn of time there have only been a few laptops where this was possible. I simply stated that he was asking too much for laptops. MacPro's and other Intel iMacs of course will more than likely be swappable, which the poster stated and is true.
1: Where is this personal insult you speak of? You could have said this in the original post, instead you decided to call my comment "silly" with no reasoning. That is a personal insult, not to mention childish.
2: I don't pay top dollar for incremental increase. Why the assumption?
3: Professionals may upgrade processors, but they don't overclock. Overclocking causes instability and decreases the life of the chip. And take time to do it correctly. If time is money, then a professional doesn't have time to tinker with the FSB and multipliers for hours, then stability test at every change.
4: The poster was saying he wouldn't buy a MBP unless it was swappable or overclockable, which since the dawn of time there have only been a few laptops where this was possible. I simply stated that he was asking too much for laptops. MacPro's and other Intel iMacs of course will more than likely be swappable, which the poster stated and is true.
TheSideshow
Apr 28, 05:09 PM
Strong article, MacRumors.
chatin
Sep 5, 09:06 PM
They may have partnered with a network like Showtime for a movie library.
1) No HD. Way too much bandwidth here! As someone who edits HD, Mac Pro is underpowered for 1080i. (Not really!)
2) No first run movies like Walmart gets on the day of release. Although I wish, since I was capsized at Amazon, with a wrong version, scratched Poseidon.
But if one of the above proved untrue I would be very happy and start buying like crazy!! :p
1) No HD. Way too much bandwidth here! As someone who edits HD, Mac Pro is underpowered for 1080i. (Not really!)
2) No first run movies like Walmart gets on the day of release. Although I wish, since I was capsized at Amazon, with a wrong version, scratched Poseidon.
But if one of the above proved untrue I would be very happy and start buying like crazy!! :p
JAT
Mar 23, 04:38 PM
Miles you make a great point... You also confirm that Apple better pull them, its a pointless app because if your so drunk then you can't operate a phone let alone an app.
The legal limit is not so high that you have to actually be wasted to measure at illegal. I could see these being quite popular apps.
Here in Sweden, the Police says that their goal is to increase safety, not catch people. I'd rather have a drunk driver stay at home because of an app warning of a checkpoint than get in the car and get caught.
So, people get drunk at home, then drive? I would've thought most driving drunk were out and are returning home.
I don't think cops here even do this. I take it a checkpoint stops all cars? I've never seen that in my decades in MN. We have frequent notices (last one was on 3/17) on our highway info signs that say "Increased DUI patrol" or similar, no actual checkpoints.
Oh, and, this sounds like something Apple will agree to pull. I can't even decide which side I'm on. As I said, not relevant in MN, and not relevant to me personally, not too into alcohol.
The legal limit is not so high that you have to actually be wasted to measure at illegal. I could see these being quite popular apps.
Here in Sweden, the Police says that their goal is to increase safety, not catch people. I'd rather have a drunk driver stay at home because of an app warning of a checkpoint than get in the car and get caught.
So, people get drunk at home, then drive? I would've thought most driving drunk were out and are returning home.
I don't think cops here even do this. I take it a checkpoint stops all cars? I've never seen that in my decades in MN. We have frequent notices (last one was on 3/17) on our highway info signs that say "Increased DUI patrol" or similar, no actual checkpoints.
Oh, and, this sounds like something Apple will agree to pull. I can't even decide which side I'm on. As I said, not relevant in MN, and not relevant to me personally, not too into alcohol.
Teddy's
Aug 23, 05:29 PM
Methinks a creative person involved in the negotiations could have made a fortune buying Creative stock at the right time.It would be illegal of course.:rolleyes:
... and then sell them and buy apple stock
... and then sell them and buy apple stock
grahamwright1
Nov 13, 12:49 PM
In simplest terms, Apple's objections to the use of "Apple Logo and Apple-owned Graphic Symbols" in the application led to multiple rejections of an update designed to fix a critical performance bug, leading to a delay of over three and a half months before the updated version was finally approved and made available to the public.
This is very disheartening since they were using information specifically supplied by Apple for the use of developers. It's time for a significant revamping of the approval process before we see any more problems like this!
This is very disheartening since they were using information specifically supplied by Apple for the use of developers. It's time for a significant revamping of the approval process before we see any more problems like this!
KnightWRX
Apr 22, 11:47 AM
Why would you think that? The Intel IGP can drive the same resolution on the 15" just fine.
My Matrox G200 AGP 4x card can drive these resolutions flawlessly, and it has only 8 MB of RAM and hails from 10 years ago. People seriously don't understand graphics performance and where it matters if they really think driving a framebuffer resolution is something we need modern hardware for.
My Matrox G200 AGP 4x card can drive these resolutions flawlessly, and it has only 8 MB of RAM and hails from 10 years ago. People seriously don't understand graphics performance and where it matters if they really think driving a framebuffer resolution is something we need modern hardware for.
Bomino
Apr 25, 03:02 AM
You certainly ain't the only one. Obvious troll is obvious.
i thought this from my first post, but his join date is 08, and he's a regular. that is what has me thinking that what he is saying is really how he thinks/acts.
i thought this from my first post, but his join date is 08, and he's a regular. that is what has me thinking that what he is saying is really how he thinks/acts.
WillEH
Apr 19, 05:19 PM
What do Apple want out of this? more money?
Popeye206
Apr 22, 04:48 AM
I have no idea how this would be useful. Buffer times, connection loss, no WiFi around, these are all problems that will prevent this from working.
What's wrong with storing music on hard drives locally?
I think the idea is, you could log onto your account from anyone's iOS device and now you'd be able to play any of your songs.
Also, opens up the door to automatically syncing multiple iOS devices without having to do anything. Add music to your library and now it's available on all your devices without physical syncing.
It will be interesting to see what Apple's spin is on this. They've invested a ton into this so there has to be a "big thing" that goes with this.
UPDATE: Read some more comments and I have to agree.... this allows people with small storage devices like a 16BG iPad to have access to much larger music libraries and you no longer have to juggle playlists. Smart.
What's wrong with storing music on hard drives locally?
I think the idea is, you could log onto your account from anyone's iOS device and now you'd be able to play any of your songs.
Also, opens up the door to automatically syncing multiple iOS devices without having to do anything. Add music to your library and now it's available on all your devices without physical syncing.
It will be interesting to see what Apple's spin is on this. They've invested a ton into this so there has to be a "big thing" that goes with this.
UPDATE: Read some more comments and I have to agree.... this allows people with small storage devices like a 16BG iPad to have access to much larger music libraries and you no longer have to juggle playlists. Smart.
mox358
Sep 4, 09:29 PM
There may be lots of TV options out there, but right now Apple isn't servicing any of them. They're losing potential business to 3rd Party companies like Elgato. If they released a simple box with analog/digital standard/hidef options, they would be servicing the overwhelming majority of the market (most digital, satelite and other special services require set-top boxes anyway).
I really doubt that Apple will put a TV tuner in this thing (if it's real). Think about it -
Point 1 - If Apple puts a tuner in then they have to deal with the myriad of different types of TV.
Point 2 - THEY SELL TV SHOWS!
Does Steve want you to Tivo the new episode of "The Office" on your "MediaMac/Airport Express Video/Super iPod" or does he want you to come to the iTunes store and download it for $2? Apple, despite most of our (including my own) beliefs is a business and they have to think of the $$$ first.
Why give something away when you can make money off it? That's still my theory as to why the mini didn't have a tuner from the start.
I really doubt that Apple will put a TV tuner in this thing (if it's real). Think about it -
Point 1 - If Apple puts a tuner in then they have to deal with the myriad of different types of TV.
Point 2 - THEY SELL TV SHOWS!
Does Steve want you to Tivo the new episode of "The Office" on your "MediaMac/Airport Express Video/Super iPod" or does he want you to come to the iTunes store and download it for $2? Apple, despite most of our (including my own) beliefs is a business and they have to think of the $$$ first.
Why give something away when you can make money off it? That's still my theory as to why the mini didn't have a tuner from the start.

rdowns
Sep 5, 03:56 PM
Since my 3G 15GB iPos is about full, I want a new iPod.
Any my stock account loves the movement - AAPL closed up $3.10 today.
Any my stock account loves the movement - AAPL closed up $3.10 today.
barneygumble
Jul 17, 07:43 PM
All i can say is that i will buy a Core 2 Duo iMac when they come out and my parents will be buying a Core 2 Duo tower if such a thing is introduced (not mac pro):)
acslater017
Sep 13, 12:00 AM
did anyone notice how he called MahJong "May-Hong"?
p0intblank
Sep 19, 03:28 PM
WOW! :eek: This is excellent news for Apple! First they did it with TV shows and now movies... I'm proud to be an Apple fan. :D
prady16
Sep 14, 09:00 AM
May be Apple will give a silent upgrade to MBP before the special event just like they did with Mini and iMac before "Its Showtime"!
What say?
What say?

KnightWRX
Apr 22, 01:47 PM
Exactly what I was thinking I'd much rather have the 320M it makes youtube and other graphics accelerated apps so much better than the 9400M, can't imagine downgrading to igp.
Youtube is a problem. The Intel 3000HD still isn't supported by the Video Decode Acceleration Framework (VDA for short) that Apple released in 2010 to enable Adobe to implement hardware decoding of H.264 video. So right now, a MBA is offloading decoding to the nVidia 320M, while a new SB MBA would revert to standard CPU decoding, throwing us back to the dark ages of ****** Flash, where we now have passable Flash.
Youtube is a problem. The Intel 3000HD still isn't supported by the Video Decode Acceleration Framework (VDA for short) that Apple released in 2010 to enable Adobe to implement hardware decoding of H.264 video. So right now, a MBA is offloading decoding to the nVidia 320M, while a new SB MBA would revert to standard CPU decoding, throwing us back to the dark ages of ****** Flash, where we now have passable Flash.
alec
Oct 27, 03:31 PM
Environment? Ha. Move to France.
Westside guy
Sep 14, 10:59 AM
Why do people seem convinced Apple won't release something like an SLR or video camera?
If you'd followed the dSLR world at all over the past two years, you wouldn't ask this question. :) Canon and Nikon are doing well; most everyone else is dropping like flies. Sony is trying to pick up the pieces that were Konica-Minolta's dSLR business, but at best they're going to be a distant third behind the Big Two. Pentax and Olympus are holding on as far as I know, but they are not doing well.
It would be a very poor move for Apple, and I have no doubt they realize this. You might think Apple has a rabid fan base to draw on - go read any "Nikon vs. Canon" thread on any photo discussion board sometime to see REAL rabidity. :D
If you'd followed the dSLR world at all over the past two years, you wouldn't ask this question. :) Canon and Nikon are doing well; most everyone else is dropping like flies. Sony is trying to pick up the pieces that were Konica-Minolta's dSLR business, but at best they're going to be a distant third behind the Big Two. Pentax and Olympus are holding on as far as I know, but they are not doing well.
It would be a very poor move for Apple, and I have no doubt they realize this. You might think Apple has a rabid fan base to draw on - go read any "Nikon vs. Canon" thread on any photo discussion board sometime to see REAL rabidity. :D
AndroidfoLife
Apr 16, 03:27 AM
in all seriousness people, this thing http://snowulf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/USB-3-Mini-B-Connector.jpg is going to scare people off...
what is that. The usb 3.0 port on my PC looks nothing like that
what is that. The usb 3.0 port on my PC looks nothing like that
yellowballoon
Mar 29, 01:24 PM
1. MobileMe provides upload to a cloud for photos / movies / etc.
.
Yeah at $99 a year. And don't think Apple will give you 25GB free when and if any features become free in the future. You will be lucky if you get 5 GB.
.
Yeah at $99 a year. And don't think Apple will give you 25GB free when and if any features become free in the future. You will be lucky if you get 5 GB.
IJ Reilly
Aug 24, 06:47 PM
It may be a bookkeeping trick, but it's considered part of Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP). The IRS and the SEC certainly doesn't have problem with it and ammorization is actually encouraged. Apple used the same method to record the $250 million cash investment in flash memory plants last year, as well as the $400 million it is setting aside for the new Cupertino campus. Neither of those big cash outlays really affected their profit recording.
I didn't mean to imply that it was somehow illegal or improper. My point was, even an amortized expense is an expense, and booking it as an asset doesn't mean it will produce a return on investment. All those numbers go on the expense side of the ledger, one way or another. Spread out over years or taken as a lump sum, they're still spending the money.
I didn't mean to imply that it was somehow illegal or improper. My point was, even an amortized expense is an expense, and booking it as an asset doesn't mean it will produce a return on investment. All those numbers go on the expense side of the ledger, one way or another. Spread out over years or taken as a lump sum, they're still spending the money.
No comments:
Post a Comment