Saturday, May 21, 2011

the statue of liberty facts

the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts
  • the statue of liberty facts



  • hunkaburningluv
    Mar 28, 05:24 PM
    I never said it was. You must have me confused with somebody else.

    But since you bring it up... What excites me about Apple's current products is where they could be in five years. I've been talking about it since the iPhone was introduced.

    Imagine having a device that fits in your pocket yet is powerful enough to handle most people's computing needs. I go to the office and drop it in a dock and my LCD screens light up with my environment. I then go home and again I have access to everything again by simply plugging it in. When I'm on the train I can still use it to do email and what not.

    Motorola is partially there with the Atrix but the hardware isn't quite up to the task yet. Give it five years and I think things will be really different.

    Now that doesn't mean that a pocket device will replace every PC, console and server out there. It just represents shift in general usage. While I see this as feasible in the next few years I don't see a major migration away from desktops for at least a decade. This is due more to social constraints rather than technological.

    More back on the original subject:

    So what's to stop somebody making a $20 game pad for iOS? The iPad takes input from the controller and displays info on dual screens.

    Or even a controller that an iPhone or iPod slides into to allow use of the accelerometers in addition to the buttons.

    I don't see iOS ever replacing the consoles just like PCs didn't destroy that market. I can see a lot of overlap in the markets.

    Even so, the number of people that come to these forums just to piss and moan that their OS/phone/PC/console/tablet is better than the iOS device du jour is rather tiring. There is actually an interesting article in the March 2011 issue of Scientific American that talks about this very subject. I highly recommend it.



    Totally agree on most fronts mate. I believe my comments were aimed at another that was quoted my post. I am 100% behind the overlap idea - it'll be used by loads for gaming, but IMO it won't be the only method of game playing, especially for the typical 'core' console gamer.

    I'd gladly pay $20 for starcraft on an iPad, without doubt, that's where I feel touch gaming can really add to the experience - RTS and Turn Basesd strategy game. BUT I feel that in the wake of the few dollar price point for idevice games and their (relative) simplicity I just don't think that it will do well. That may change over the next few years though.





    the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts.
  • the statue of liberty facts.



  • tribalogical
    Jun 22, 06:11 PM
    I always find Apple's innovations appealing... they tend to get it right these days.

    But the first thought that leapt to my mind upon seeing the headline was, "if you think it's hard keeping your iPhone/iPad screens clean now... just wait!"

    I hate fingerprints on my desktop monitor as it is... I'm like the guard dog barking at anyone jabbing the screen leaving smudges on it. :p

    What might be cooler is a "touchpad" that sits on the desk, acts like a laptop trackpad, but also enables direct interaction with "iOS" elements onscreen?

    Oh. Wait... there's an iPad for that...





    the statue of liberty facts. statue of liberty facts.
  • statue of liberty facts.



  • RMo
    May 3, 03:01 AM
    No, Microsoft have not got it right. There should be no need for a specific tool to uninstall applications. applications should be self-contained and be deletable with the press of a button�

    Many applications work this way on Mac, some developers still put related files into various other locations though unfortunately...

    You're missing the point that Windows uninstallers usually, at least, give you the option of cleaning up user data (e.g., things in your profile, usually C:\Users\username\AppData or C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data, roughly the equivalent of the ~\Library (and Application Support) folder on OS X.

    Yes, this is easily done yourself--if you know where to look. Most users don't. But, on the other hand, this usually doesn't cause any problems, and in most cases it won't take up too much space just to leave it there.

    Finally, this would also be easier for applications that do things like install a pref pane (e.g., Growl, Perian--although it actually puts an uninstaller in the pref pane itself). These are few and far between and better have a good reason for doing so, but they are still around.

    On the other hand, having a single .App bundle is a great way to encourage the (good, in my opinion) practice of self-contained apps. I thought MS was learning towards this around the dawn of the .NET era, but this seems to have been lost...





    the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts
  • the statue of liberty facts



  • Squonk
    Oct 23, 07:02 AM
    ... and here we go again!

    I hope they come out soon. And then I really, really hope that whatever it is, that people do not start moaning about that one too! I cannot guarantee that I won't be sharing my opinion....

    Steve - pull the trigger, but only when it's ready for primetime!





    the statue of liberty facts. the Statue of Liberty by
  • the Statue of Liberty by



  • ChrisA
    Mar 24, 04:11 PM
    Just maybe, we can hope Apple will finally release a "normal" desktop computer. My older iMac is failing and I so much hate to have to toss out a nice, working 24" LCD display because of a problem with a graphics memory chip.

    I'll likely build a Hackintosh so as to prevent this problem in the future. That is unless Apple finally sells computers that can be repaired for less then the price of a new computer.





    the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts.
  • the statue of liberty facts.



  • Full of Win
    Apr 12, 08:57 PM
    I thought the new iMovie was genius. I knew SO many family members who wouldn't touch the old iMovie because it was too complicated. They needed something simpler and the new iMovie gave it to them.

    I really think the only people who complained about the new iMovie were people who should have been using Final Cut Express all along anyway. It's not Apple's fault that they weren't using the right program before.

    It's always the users fault. :rolleyes:





    the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts.
  • the statue of liberty facts.



  • thedarkhorse
    Apr 12, 10:36 PM
    There's an immensely good reason to learn the new interface, Speed.





    the statue of liberty facts. Statue of liberty facts: 354
  • Statue of liberty facts: 354



  • BenRoethig
    Aug 29, 10:04 AM
    If the MacBook and Mini stay with core 1 CPUs, sales will grind to a halt.





    the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts
  • the statue of liberty facts



  • gnasher729
    Nov 18, 10:09 AM
    It depends on what the program does. Some programs don't lend themselves to multi-threading at all and others practically require it. It can be quite a chore to go back and multi-thread an existing program.

    Also, some uses of a program make it easy to use multithreading, and others don't. As an example, if you use Handbrake to do H.264 encoding, it is work for the developers to use multiple cores (it has been posted here that it uses three cores) for encoding a single movie, but it would be absolutely easy to use four times as many cores to encode four movies simultaneously.

    Something like that would be perfect if you want to encode four half hour movies, but awful if you want to encode a single two hour movie.





    the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts.
  • the statue of liberty facts.



  • Lesser Evets
    Apr 26, 01:54 PM
    App is a generic.
    Store is a generic.
    Appstore is a generic.

    Simple.

    Example: Grocery Store, Book Store, Appliance Store.





    the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts
  • the statue of liberty facts



  • charlituna
    Apr 12, 09:57 PM
    will final cut express get an update too?

    I am guessing yes. If it is kept at all.

    Then a similar move with Logic

    But I am curious about the rest of the suite and the remaining missing features from Shake





    the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts
  • the statue of liberty facts



  • meepm00pmeep
    Oct 23, 06:49 AM
    i'd like to see what's inside the new MBP's, though i already bought my MBP a couple weeks ago with no regrets.. i'd still like to see what those who are waiting will get for their hard earned patience





    the statue of liberty facts. The Story of the Statue of
  • The Story of the Statue of



  • Doctor Q
    Nov 29, 05:44 PM
    As far as what's wrong with the wifi as currently done, here:

    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/zune.ars/4

    Actually that entire review is pretty good at covering why the current Zune is really not worth it, and why it has potential. The review complainsThe lameness of this dialogue is matched only by the lameness of Microsoft's decision not to allow retransmission. It's clear why usage rights on protected content need to expire, but why should that prevent users from sharing it with their friends? This is supposed to be viral how, exactly?If they allowed retransmissions, couldn't a pair of Zunes beam it back and forth to prevent ever reaching expiration? If they allowed retransmissions of purchased songs, how might they prevent this trick from being used to keep songs forever? Keeping a record of all previous songs, so it could recognize one it had before, and not permitting those records to be purged? Counting a retransmission as one of your three "plays"? Keeping the original expiration date, even if 2 of the 3 days had already gone by?

    Another way to ask this question: If Apple decided to compete head-to-head with this feature, what should they do differently?





    the statue of liberty facts. and the Statue of Liberty
  • and the Statue of Liberty



  • tablo13
    Oct 2, 11:58 PM
    Wow. Everyone at macrumors must love switcheasy. Are they that good? I wish the Colors case was TPU, because it looks very good. :( I don't like the look of RebelTouch.





    the statue of liberty facts. The Statue of Liberty is
  • The Statue of Liberty is



  • slackpacker
    Mar 24, 02:32 PM
    i would love to buy an off the shelf gpu for half the price of a mac branded amd card. please let this be true then i will not sell my 2008 macpro




    the statue of liberty facts. 7 Obscure Facts About The
  • 7 Obscure Facts About The



  • balamw
    Sep 8, 03:58 PM
    Airport Express still shows available within 24 hours, so looks like Extreme is getting updated but Express is not.
    Or they have a decent inventory of Express units and just want to throw us off... :p

    B





    the statue of liberty facts. “The Statue of Liberty
  • “The Statue of Liberty



  • iAlan
    Oct 23, 07:08 AM
    Well when you really think about it, at least one of these rumours has got to be true. We have MBP Merom rumours that cover every week from August til January 2007.

    Actually, we have rumours that cover every week from August til January 2009!





    the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts.
  • the statue of liberty facts.



  • Gatesbasher
    Apr 3, 01:08 PM
    Yeah of course... :rolleyes:

    Why do you feel the need to bash other people's choices?

    Because I'm interested in the pathology of people like you, and I'm trying to understand how you can compare an existing product with a product that is nothing but talk, to the disadvantage of the product you can actually buy, and decide in favor of the product that doesn't exist. Just psychological curiosity.





    the statue of liberty facts. the statue of liberty facts.
  • the statue of liberty facts.



  • bryanc
    Oct 23, 07:38 AM
    I've been ready to buy, and waiting for a merom-based MBP since July, but I almost hope this turns out to be wrong.

    A quite Tuesday speedbump would most probably mean a simple chip swap, and that these new MBPs would be otherwise just like their predecessors.

    I'm rather hoping for a significant enclosure redesign (easily swappable hdds, magnetic latch, better ventilation, etc. and black anodized aluminum would be nice), as well as significant component changes (802.11n, better GPU, crestline chipset, etc.).

    So I've rather been hoping for an 'event' at which these significantly upgraded MBPs could debut. I doubt the kinds of significant changes I'm hoping for would be released without some sort of fanfare.

    Cheers





    thechris69
    Sep 1, 02:17 PM
    question.... would conroe or merom be better in the imac???

    all apple has to do is make some extra ram space and make the gpu upgradeable...;)





    iGav
    Apr 12, 08:45 AM
    IMO, if a gearbox has a setting where it will automatically shift gears for you and you don't have to touch it, it's an automatic gearbox.

    Or is it a manual gearbox capable of automatic shifting? ;)

    Also, Europeans favor driving experience over comfort.

    If that was actually the case, diesels wouldn't be so popular. ;)

    The clutches in most smaller cars (e.g. our MINIs) are light enough it's really not that much work.

    But to be fair, it is still more though then pressing a brake pedal isn't it? ;)





    plumbingandtech
    Jan 13, 04:09 PM
    Apple is supposed to be building an Ultra-Portable. Ethernet takes up space. I seriously doubt it will be in the Macbook Air or whatever apple decides to call it. Wifi will be enough. This laptop is not ment to be a main computer.

    It does not take that much space. Worst case they could use a flip-jack like connector.

    If it does not ship with an Ethernet port, I will eat dirt.





    Eolian
    Sep 30, 08:38 AM
    Well, I ended up grabbing a Vue, in the lime green flavor. I actually kinda like the color (and it's the only one BestBuy had in stock when I went, heh).
    Fits snug, feels good and strong, I like it. Not terribly hard to get in and out.

    I like the Grip Vue also, the one thing I don't like about this case is the little strip on the front that goes across (above) the docking port.

    Mine (night sky) is a bit floppy there and feels like it could get worse with pulling the device in and out of pockets, backpacks, etc. I can see it tearing easily if snagged.

    I understand that TPU is claimed to be quite durable and elastic, but I don't like being concerned about a $25 piece of formed plastic :(

    I may return it just on this 'flaw.'

    Crazy?





    zap2
    Apr 19, 11:09 AM
    Apple should do a nice desktop refresh...at least for the consumer/prosumer grade machine, I don't follow the CPU that a Mac Pro upgrade would depend on(although I'd imagine if the lower powered chips are out, higher powered chips would also be out, but one can never be 100% sure)

    But iMac and Mac mini bumps would be quite do able!



    No comments:

    Post a Comment