Built
Apr 2, 10:08 PM
Apparently "virtually every" doesn't mean what you think it means.
Those who don't see the light bleed are simply in denial. It is a known problem affecting this version of the iPad. If you took a few minutes to read the iPad forum, you'd know that.
Those who don't see the light bleed are simply in denial. It is a known problem affecting this version of the iPad. If you took a few minutes to read the iPad forum, you'd know that.
darkplanets
Jun 22, 12:13 PM
As long as it has OSX (or whatever the next is) underneath, always, then I have no problems with an integrated iOS layer in OSX. In fact, I would much rather see dashboard disappear and iOS take its place, because let's face it; dashboard is worthless due to its horrible implementation.
Let's make that a prediction, shall we?
If this comes to fruition I see dashboard getting the boot and the iOS overlay taking its place, but only on touch enabled macs.
Can someone say new touch enabled cinema display, as well as the new "track pad gadget" being released? This would make perfect sense, if this rumor were true.
Let's make that a prediction, shall we?
If this comes to fruition I see dashboard getting the boot and the iOS overlay taking its place, but only on touch enabled macs.
Can someone say new touch enabled cinema display, as well as the new "track pad gadget" being released? This would make perfect sense, if this rumor were true.
Bradley W
Aug 6, 08:41 PM
_
bigandy
Nov 29, 04:02 PM
Yep, cause the media center PCs are selling hand over fist and Tivo is making more money than they know what do do with. Oh, wait...
you mean the market hasn't taken off yet because nobody's done it right. however, with apple in the ring.... hmmmm... :rolleyes:
ipod anyone?
you mean the market hasn't taken off yet because nobody's done it right. however, with apple in the ring.... hmmmm... :rolleyes:
ipod anyone?
coffey7
Sep 6, 08:37 PM
I rather just buy a dvd for $10-20. I'm not downloading anything from the apple store for that price.
Mainyehc
Nov 28, 03:50 PM
I agree with almost everything you wrote (you're a pretty smart guy!) but offer two comments:
1 - We don't know there isn't a Jobs waiting in the wings. We also don't know there isn't a Jobs in the #2 spot at some Fortune 50 company who could be in a MS executive suite in 3 years.
2 - MS being "too proud" is exactly the kind of thing I mean when I write about not being able to predict the post-Bill future. He is certainly too proud but who knows about Bill 2.0?
You make the point about the rank-and-file being mostly very talented and I agree. If MS gets executives who stay out of the way who knows what Zune 3.0 will be like?
Why, thanks! English isn't even my native language... And I'm not a long-time Apple user either. But I suppose three years worth of using Macs and hangin' around MacRumors:Forums also helped, as did reading a lot (well, way too much, really) about the computer industry's history! :p
Your points are, of course, fairly good. But this is just a clear example of me playing the role of the "ominous wishful thinker", and you that of the "devil's advocate". So I surely hope I'm right in my predictions; even though I know competition is a good thing, arguing that competition from Microsoft could possibly be a "good" thing is nothing short of an oxymoron (I'm not saying that's your opinion. The problem is, if it's you who turns out to be right, that's what the Zune will become: competition! :p ). Let's hope that some worthy competitors, both on the cosumer electronics and the PC hardware/software/operating systems, OTHER than Microsoft emerge to give Apple some eventually needed "kicks in the butt", so they don't become lazy. ;)
'Course, if Microsoft could, hypothetically, stop being such an evil company, I'd certainly overlook their shady past and could even, Jobs forbid!, use some of their products (provided they'd be up to my typical Mac User's standards :rolleyes: ). :D
1 - We don't know there isn't a Jobs waiting in the wings. We also don't know there isn't a Jobs in the #2 spot at some Fortune 50 company who could be in a MS executive suite in 3 years.
2 - MS being "too proud" is exactly the kind of thing I mean when I write about not being able to predict the post-Bill future. He is certainly too proud but who knows about Bill 2.0?
You make the point about the rank-and-file being mostly very talented and I agree. If MS gets executives who stay out of the way who knows what Zune 3.0 will be like?
Why, thanks! English isn't even my native language... And I'm not a long-time Apple user either. But I suppose three years worth of using Macs and hangin' around MacRumors:Forums also helped, as did reading a lot (well, way too much, really) about the computer industry's history! :p
Your points are, of course, fairly good. But this is just a clear example of me playing the role of the "ominous wishful thinker", and you that of the "devil's advocate". So I surely hope I'm right in my predictions; even though I know competition is a good thing, arguing that competition from Microsoft could possibly be a "good" thing is nothing short of an oxymoron (I'm not saying that's your opinion. The problem is, if it's you who turns out to be right, that's what the Zune will become: competition! :p ). Let's hope that some worthy competitors, both on the cosumer electronics and the PC hardware/software/operating systems, OTHER than Microsoft emerge to give Apple some eventually needed "kicks in the butt", so they don't become lazy. ;)
'Course, if Microsoft could, hypothetically, stop being such an evil company, I'd certainly overlook their shady past and could even, Jobs forbid!, use some of their products (provided they'd be up to my typical Mac User's standards :rolleyes: ). :D
flopticalcube
Apr 20, 02:33 PM
Why would be ever see this on an iMac? Mac mini, yes (it was overdue). iMac, never.
And would be redundant now that displayport carries audio and is easily converted to HDMI.
And would be redundant now that displayport carries audio and is easily converted to HDMI.
EHUnlucky7x9@ao
Apr 21, 11:32 AM
So...this guy Levinson...he spends all his time breaking down all the data and info in iOS...and then writes a book about all the locations of these files and how to manipulate them?....and he complains how people may easily get hacked?
Hmm... I'm missing something here...
How many everyday people will stop and dissect the software to create destruction and havoc? 99% of people in the world are too busy being self-absorbed and being on the move.

Love You Baby/Seasons Of

TRue BLue BaBy i LoVe You!

of love you baby hearts

i love u hearts. i love u baby

Baby, I love you so much

i love you baby hearts,

I wanna love you all night

i love you baby hearts,

I LOVE YOU BABY SCULPTED TEXT

my heart, I love you, aby

i love
Hmm... I'm missing something here...
How many everyday people will stop and dissect the software to create destruction and havoc? 99% of people in the world are too busy being self-absorbed and being on the move.
InuNacho
Apr 19, 03:17 PM
My early 08 Macbook makes for a crummy desktop and I have been wanting a new TV for a while now. If Apple's having that free ipod with Mac purchase this summer I'm sold.
imac_japan
Apr 2, 04:39 AM
problem is, what do you cut down in #1 and still make profit? it's clear that dirt cheap computer market is something apple's not interested in. they believe it makes no economic sense. apple is not a charity organization, it is NOT on some mission to spread the goodness of Mac OS... if they don't see an economic merit in offering dirt cheap Macs, they won't, just like any other businesses.
eMac is not meant to be cheap. iMac is not meant to be cheap. they are meant to be all-in-one. if you know enough to foresee that you may need to upgrade in the future, you get a PowerMac because all-in-one is not for you. if you want a cheap, upgradable machine, then, unfortunately, you are not within apple's target market. thus far, apple has been doing well with this philosophy and who's to tell them to change? (do note that "customers" wanting dirt cheap machines have far less economic leverage because, well, they are cheap. if $800 is too much for a complete computer/OS/bundled software, then nevermind what dell's offering, apple believes they are ok without catering to you. if $400 is your budget, then apple believes it won't matter to you whether you get a dell or a Mac. if you want a Mac for sure, apple is betting that you will put down $400 more and get an eMac.)
even if apple offered custom upgrade parts (and only apple parts will work with Macs - otherwise, people will just go out and buy stock parts), i doubt they will be well received - they will be "overpriced" afterall, just like their computers are "overpriced" especially according to these "cheap" customers.
You have some good points here....but the basic arguement is how to survive in the future - How to grow the business....Itms doesn't make any money for Apple, the ipod is going to have too many similar players. So why not go for the lower end of the market - eg: like they did with the old "LC"s machines. People buy software but they don't want to shell out alot of money for hardware.
eMac is not meant to be cheap. iMac is not meant to be cheap. they are meant to be all-in-one. if you know enough to foresee that you may need to upgrade in the future, you get a PowerMac because all-in-one is not for you. if you want a cheap, upgradable machine, then, unfortunately, you are not within apple's target market. thus far, apple has been doing well with this philosophy and who's to tell them to change? (do note that "customers" wanting dirt cheap machines have far less economic leverage because, well, they are cheap. if $800 is too much for a complete computer/OS/bundled software, then nevermind what dell's offering, apple believes they are ok without catering to you. if $400 is your budget, then apple believes it won't matter to you whether you get a dell or a Mac. if you want a Mac for sure, apple is betting that you will put down $400 more and get an eMac.)
even if apple offered custom upgrade parts (and only apple parts will work with Macs - otherwise, people will just go out and buy stock parts), i doubt they will be well received - they will be "overpriced" afterall, just like their computers are "overpriced" especially according to these "cheap" customers.
You have some good points here....but the basic arguement is how to survive in the future - How to grow the business....Itms doesn't make any money for Apple, the ipod is going to have too many similar players. So why not go for the lower end of the market - eg: like they did with the old "LC"s machines. People buy software but they don't want to shell out alot of money for hardware.
skunk
Mar 20, 01:07 PM
I am very uncomfortable with the intervention in Libya. When you look at what is happening in Bahrain, Syria, Yemen, Saudi Arabia etc. You have to ask the question why Libya.The repression in Libya is on a different scale entirely to those other countries. None of those others is using tanks and aircraft to attack their dissidents.
So, apparently you're old...
Yet you come across with all the maturity of an 11 year old.
:confused:Indeed, puzzling: I was putting it down to callowness, too.
So, apparently you're old...
Yet you come across with all the maturity of an 11 year old.
:confused:Indeed, puzzling: I was putting it down to callowness, too.
markfc
Oct 23, 07:48 AM
Well, if you want to hear from my reliable source, stocks of macbooks and macbook pros are due in on the 27th/28th October.
You heard it here first!
:-)
You heard it here first!
:-)
Reverend Wally
Oct 23, 10:56 AM
As I have said before....
"round and 'round and 'round she goes.....
Where she stops....nobody knows
:p
"round and 'round and 'round she goes.....
Where she stops....nobody knows
:p

bursthead
Mar 25, 04:09 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/e75a/
Joystick for ipad
Joystick for ipad
adam1185
Aug 6, 09:28 PM
"Hasta la Vista, Vista" image on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=207241970&context=photostream&size=l
:D
Too bad that image doesn't actually show it :(
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=207241970&context=photostream&size=l
:D
Too bad that image doesn't actually show it :(
Schnebar
Jan 13, 01:39 AM
So the only way to use a thumb drive or download photos from a camera or sync your iPod/iPhone is through your dock when you're at home???
This IS the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while.
Yeah I guess there are a lot of problems with this.
But how cool would it be if the sides were completely clean. Maybe they could have a USB and audio output one the side that has a cover that slides over when it is not being used.
I remember when wifi came out and there were all of these commercials about how there were no wires.
But now there will never be any wires ever.
I am just wishful thinking and do not actually know about the complexity that this kind of charging entails but it sounds cool if it worked.
This IS the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while.
Yeah I guess there are a lot of problems with this.
But how cool would it be if the sides were completely clean. Maybe they could have a USB and audio output one the side that has a cover that slides over when it is not being used.
I remember when wifi came out and there were all of these commercials about how there were no wires.
But now there will never be any wires ever.
I am just wishful thinking and do not actually know about the complexity that this kind of charging entails but it sounds cool if it worked.

stcanard
Nov 30, 10:47 AM
Another way to ask this question: If Apple decided to compete head-to-head with this feature, what should they do differently?
Here's the funny thing, I can tell you a feature is poorly thought out, even if I can't necessarily tell you how to solve it :) The fact that we don't have an answer is probably a good start on why the iPod doesn't already do it.
First thing I can say is this: Dump the idea of restrictions on non-DRM'd songs. If "the guy with guitar" wants to beam you his own song he should be allowed to decide that you can keep it as long as you want and send it to as many people as you want.
This goes back to the root of the problem with these devices and online stores: The record labels aren't worried about piracy, they're worried about all the guys on the street being able to bypass them by advertising virally then selling their own burned CDs. Sure it's only one or two now people now, but then it starts to grow, and some band ends up hitting it big and getting radio play, then everybody starts doing it, and then gradually the RIAA loses their money train.
Here's the funny thing, I can tell you a feature is poorly thought out, even if I can't necessarily tell you how to solve it :) The fact that we don't have an answer is probably a good start on why the iPod doesn't already do it.
First thing I can say is this: Dump the idea of restrictions on non-DRM'd songs. If "the guy with guitar" wants to beam you his own song he should be allowed to decide that you can keep it as long as you want and send it to as many people as you want.
This goes back to the root of the problem with these devices and online stores: The record labels aren't worried about piracy, they're worried about all the guys on the street being able to bypass them by advertising virally then selling their own burned CDs. Sure it's only one or two now people now, but then it starts to grow, and some band ends up hitting it big and getting radio play, then everybody starts doing it, and then gradually the RIAA loses their money train.
MasonH
Apr 2, 10:38 PM
Virtually every unit huh.
Well I have seen tons of postings all over about 'I got the new ipad' with no mention of said problems.
I bought one opening weekend for home use and one last week for work with nada. All nine of the cast on my current gig have problem less iPad 2s, plus the office has gotten close to 100 units all with no issues.
Perhaps by 'virtually every' you mean 'not even one percent of what has been sold' because that is probably the real number
Every unit I've seen (admittedly only 3 friends but every one in the store) has had it. You won't notice it under bright lights... hence the "none of my office co-workers have it" or "nobody in band class" replies but if you ever watch any movies on it and have the black bars you WILL notice it. Any dark backdrop from any game or wallpaper will show it.
I've seen some with very little and some with a horrible amount of bleeding.
Best thing would be to go to the "using your iPad" forum here and see the dozen's of pics that fully show the problem.
If yours doesn't look like this or if you never have a dark pic or app on it... great!
But don't claim the issue doesn't exist... Apple's own forum has a monster thread about it and the thread here at MacRumors is HUGE :(
Well I have seen tons of postings all over about 'I got the new ipad' with no mention of said problems.
I bought one opening weekend for home use and one last week for work with nada. All nine of the cast on my current gig have problem less iPad 2s, plus the office has gotten close to 100 units all with no issues.
Perhaps by 'virtually every' you mean 'not even one percent of what has been sold' because that is probably the real number
Every unit I've seen (admittedly only 3 friends but every one in the store) has had it. You won't notice it under bright lights... hence the "none of my office co-workers have it" or "nobody in band class" replies but if you ever watch any movies on it and have the black bars you WILL notice it. Any dark backdrop from any game or wallpaper will show it.
I've seen some with very little and some with a horrible amount of bleeding.
Best thing would be to go to the "using your iPad" forum here and see the dozen's of pics that fully show the problem.
If yours doesn't look like this or if you never have a dark pic or app on it... great!
But don't claim the issue doesn't exist... Apple's own forum has a monster thread about it and the thread here at MacRumors is HUGE :(
chuckles:)
Aug 24, 06:52 PM
Maybe dual optical drives like the Mac pro. This is getting standard on Macs obviously.
:p
Obviously???
the Mac Pro is one thing, but you wont see dual optical drives in an iMac much less a Mini, there's no point 4 the standard consumer market.
:p
Obviously???
the Mac Pro is one thing, but you wont see dual optical drives in an iMac much less a Mini, there's no point 4 the standard consumer market.
Bertmg
Mar 24, 10:47 AM
I have way more than 50,000 songs, and even the worst of them is more necessary than your comment.
Way too narrow minded to think that iPod is only used for music. It is a great place to back up movies and carry then around. not to mention it is an external hard drive!
Way too narrow minded to think that iPod is only used for music. It is a great place to back up movies and carry then around. not to mention it is an external hard drive!
Cassie
Jan 12, 11:02 PM
Sold my '03 Ford Escape XLT to my Dad, he sold me his '99 Ford Ranger XL. 2.5L l4, 5 speed manual. Basic truck, I'm very happy with it. :)
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Shl5-pTG4q9EiM:http://carsfound.com/showcase/image.php?pic=images/listings/listing_36342405_17.jpg&width=350&t=1
(Not my pic, but looks exactly the same, just slightly...OK, a hell of a lot more beat up and without the bed cover. :p)
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Shl5-pTG4q9EiM:http://carsfound.com/showcase/image.php?pic=images/listings/listing_36342405_17.jpg&width=350&t=1
(Not my pic, but looks exactly the same, just slightly...OK, a hell of a lot more beat up and without the bed cover. :p)
buckers
Apr 19, 01:02 PM
I fancy a bit of a redesign (nothing wild, maybe a bit thinner and change of colour? a bit bored of them now, but probably just me).
But yeah, good stuff :)
But yeah, good stuff :)
Chris Bangle
Aug 16, 09:36 AM
I think were well overdue for ipod update...
Is this the longest period of time without and update.
Shuffle is a year and 8 months old,
nano is 11 months,
and the 5g is 10 months.
The thing is that the competition is able to undercut apple prices alot, i found a 2gb toshiba thing on amazon for £69 yesterday. A 2gb nano is £130, and thats alot of money for 2 tiny gigabytes.
Back in the day 4gb cost me £130.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ES002Q/026-7871897-8334857?v=glance&n=560798
Is this the longest period of time without and update.
Shuffle is a year and 8 months old,
nano is 11 months,
and the 5g is 10 months.
The thing is that the competition is able to undercut apple prices alot, i found a 2gb toshiba thing on amazon for £69 yesterday. A 2gb nano is £130, and thats alot of money for 2 tiny gigabytes.
Back in the day 4gb cost me £130.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ES002Q/026-7871897-8334857?v=glance&n=560798
da5id
Oct 23, 03:29 PM
I don't know if this update is imminent. apple.com store still shows macbooks and mbp as shipping within 24 hours....
Unless the new MBPs are shipping tomorrow..:rolleyes:
Unless the new MBPs are shipping tomorrow..:rolleyes:
No comments:
Post a Comment