iStudentUK
Mar 22, 01:46 PM
The problem is there are some people that cannot see the evidence in front of them.
You can have an intelligent debate with someone about some contentious issue such as abortion, animal experiments, death penalty etc because there are intelligent arguments to argue both sides. People obviously have different opinions, but I can recognise the merits of the arguments made by those who disagree with me.
This, however, it not one of those topics. Things like homosexuality as a choice, creationism, astrology are not unknowns. There is evidence- scientists don't seriously research astrology because the evidence is in! Some people will still believe in these things through faith or whatever else. [Not that I understand it- if God himself came down now and told me he was real and I should be anti-gay rights I'd just tell him to shove it!]
What we can say is that homosexuals do seem to be getting more and more rights, which is great. I was so happy to see civil partnerships introduced here a few years ago, and I hope it will be 're-branded' as marriage eventually. We don't need everyone to agree to make progress, and there will always be people behind the times, but with any luck anti-homosxual views will become more and more unacceptable in civilised society.
You can have an intelligent debate with someone about some contentious issue such as abortion, animal experiments, death penalty etc because there are intelligent arguments to argue both sides. People obviously have different opinions, but I can recognise the merits of the arguments made by those who disagree with me.
This, however, it not one of those topics. Things like homosexuality as a choice, creationism, astrology are not unknowns. There is evidence- scientists don't seriously research astrology because the evidence is in! Some people will still believe in these things through faith or whatever else. [Not that I understand it- if God himself came down now and told me he was real and I should be anti-gay rights I'd just tell him to shove it!]
What we can say is that homosexuals do seem to be getting more and more rights, which is great. I was so happy to see civil partnerships introduced here a few years ago, and I hope it will be 're-branded' as marriage eventually. We don't need everyone to agree to make progress, and there will always be people behind the times, but with any luck anti-homosxual views will become more and more unacceptable in civilised society.
yg17
Mar 22, 03:21 PM
ooooh. the rare red-crested triple-post!
It's an endangered species, but that's not going to stop the moderators from coming by eventually and shooting it :D
It's an endangered species, but that's not going to stop the moderators from coming by eventually and shooting it :D
BJMRamage
Mar 25, 03:54 PM
what I thought would/could happen with iPhone/iPads/iPodTouches. With Airplay this would be even better. pretty much how i had envisioned it with teh iDevice as teh Gyro-scopic motion joystick
balamw
Sep 6, 06:42 PM
This brings up another point. There are a lot of "hackers" out there who, I would think, wouldn't have a lot of difficulty breaking encryption or copy protection on the possible movie rentals from iTunes. I think that would be another reason Apple would avoid rentals.
Don't be so sure. The iTunes 6 audio DRM has only just been broken after almost 11 months of fervent effort, and as far as I know the video DRM has yet to be broken.
Just in time for iTunes 7. :p.
The current DRMed files are useless when backed up to a DVD unless you have the correct iTMS username/password.
B
Don't be so sure. The iTunes 6 audio DRM has only just been broken after almost 11 months of fervent effort, and as far as I know the video DRM has yet to be broken.
Just in time for iTunes 7. :p.
The current DRMed files are useless when backed up to a DVD unless you have the correct iTMS username/password.
B
paulsecic
Jul 19, 05:38 PM
and the train kept 'a rollin', all night long.
I'm about ready to buy a 20" iMac but I want the new OS. How long do I have to wait?
I'm about ready to buy a 20" iMac but I want the new OS. How long do I have to wait?
uNext
Jan 1, 11:16 PM
I want new displays & new airport extreme.
Just this weekend, I went to my local apple store. I was extremely close to purchasing a 23" lcd display and the airport express. But then my sub-conscience voice started to talk to me and advised me to wait just 1 more week, to see what apple will offer. I cant wait for this event to roll around
and get no sleep in anticipation of what will be released it happens every year.
Just this weekend, I went to my local apple store. I was extremely close to purchasing a 23" lcd display and the airport express. But then my sub-conscience voice started to talk to me and advised me to wait just 1 more week, to see what apple will offer. I cant wait for this event to roll around
and get no sleep in anticipation of what will be released it happens every year.
wordoflife
Nov 23, 05:43 PM
Blackberry Tour is both GSM and CDMA, like the Bold on Sprint. You can pop in any simcard overseas and it will work.
Ahh okay ... I just saw the Sprint logo
Ahh okay ... I just saw the Sprint logo
berol
Sep 14, 12:10 PM
I haven't heard of anyone dying from a dropped phone call. The problem is user-correctible with a piece of tape or just remembering not to touch that part of the phone if you even have the problem. At some point, you have to use the accellerator on a Toyota.
CR takes a few of every product and gives it a 'recommended' tag. They decided not to give it to the iphone 4. Almost every phone they review doesn't get the tag so it means something, but the iphone got the press over it.
CR takes a few of every product and gives it a 'recommended' tag. They decided not to give it to the iphone 4. Almost every phone they review doesn't get the tag so it means something, but the iphone got the press over it.
Xanderxxx
Aug 6, 09:36 PM
"Mac OS X Leopard, Introducing Vista 2.0"
"Mac OS X Leopard, Hasta la Vista, Vista"
VINCENT:

Royal wedding website for

Middleton Wedding. Prince

kate middleton prince william

prince william kate wedding.

kate middleton william wedding

Kate Middleton Prince William

kate middleton and prince

prince william wedding date.

kate middleton prince william.

Prince William amp; Kate
"Mac OS X Leopard, Hasta la Vista, Vista"
VINCENT:
roland.g
Sep 1, 01:39 PM
wouldn't swapping a conroe chip in be an option? just go to Fry's and buy the chip then.
No Yonah and Merom are pin-compatible. Conroe isn't. Need a whole new motherboard.
No Yonah and Merom are pin-compatible. Conroe isn't. Need a whole new motherboard.
Apple OC
Mar 25, 01:10 PM
Looks like the Canadians will be commanding the "No Fly" operation in Lybia
interesting
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110325/110325_cda_libya_military/20110325/?hub=CP24Home
interesting
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110325/110325_cda_libya_military/20110325/?hub=CP24Home
CIA
Apr 12, 09:02 PM
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/22/timeline-tweak-returns-imovie-11-to-old-school/
That's actually pretty funny.
That's actually pretty funny.
SeaFox
Dec 28, 01:52 AM
anything is possible minus 1 thing: the option to dock and iPod simply is so out of place that I do not know why it keeps getting brought up. iTV is focused on streaming content from your computer, not your iPod.
I think an iPod dock is a great idea. It would be nice to be able to use your iTV for something without a computer running. Hey, take your iPod to a friend's house and you can all watch a movie at their house from your collection, just like taking your entire video library with you.
There are two problems with this:
1) HD content takes up a huge amount of space. So if Apple did offer HD movies, the copy iTunes will transfer to your iPod would be reduced quality.
2) iTunes purchases would not be playable on the component outputs on the iTV. The movie studios would require you use an HDMI connection or something else that supported HDCP to ensure you didn't copy the movie out of the iTunes ecosphere.
As several of us have discussed before, my hope is that iTV will be able to stream all forms of content on my computer, but with particular emphasis on digital media. So if I want to bring a word doc up and type or a movie I am working on in final cut pro, I can do so. Similarly, and with more fully developed components all my digital media can be run on my tv. The goal is to make this experience integrate all the entertainment features we love, but throughout our homes. Quality preservation is essential and I think they will work to ensure that takes place.
The issue here is you're asking your iTV to open other files, in other words, you're asking it to be a regular computer. That isn't going to work because it makes the OS/interface more complicated. A home entertainment component needs to be simple and fast. This is where Apple's embedded OSX rumors would be coming in. Everyone read that and thought about the Apple Phone because that was the hot topic of the week and the was the notion of a PDA Apple phone. But an embedded real-time operating system is just what the iTV needs.
People need to stop comparing the iTV to a Mac Mini, they should thinking of it the same way you think of an XBox compared to a Windows PC. Yeah, they're both made by Microsoft, but the XBox doesn't run Windows, it runs a smaller GUI on top of what is mostly a DirectX back end.
What's funny is the reason people keep thinking of the Mini is because what consumers really want is an Apple DVR, a Mac Mini with a little stronger hardware, no external power supply, and a built in tuner. Add PVR functionality to Front Row and maybe a little bit more expansive remote and you'd have that. But since the Mini isn't expandable, it isn't even possible for a consumer to cobble together the solution themselves from a PCI tuner card and DVR software available, the closest they can do has lots of "extra parts" lying around from the ElGato external tuner, a monitor adapter to give them the connection they need, and the Mini's power supply, and it still would not be as easy to navigate since a keyboard would probably be needed at some point.
So a MacMini wont download and play a HD movie or display a word doc, and you need the iTV to accomplish this basic task?
No, it will do those things, but a MacMini costs $600. Not everyone wants to keep their main computer hooked up to the TV. The iTV allows them to watch their iTunes Store-purchased movies on a larger screen than their regular monitor without moving their computer.
Also, most people don’t need final cut pro or photo shop. So, that’s why I was thinking this could be a basic computer. If not you will need the mac mini to go with it, and why not simply include the iTV with the Mac Mini so you don’t have two devises in a limited shelf space.
The iTV is meant to be an add-on to an existing Macintosh household. Not a self-contained entertainment product like a CableCo box or a PS2.
The idea is the iTV would support more common TV connection methods out of the box, be designed to fit in better aesthetically with home entertainment components, offer better video performance, overall stability, and lower power usage than a MacMini for less.
Is the problem the iTV will address processing the images or scaling them?
I hope so. Maybe it will be upconverting for watching current iTunes movies on an HDTV?
I think an iPod dock is a great idea. It would be nice to be able to use your iTV for something without a computer running. Hey, take your iPod to a friend's house and you can all watch a movie at their house from your collection, just like taking your entire video library with you.
There are two problems with this:
1) HD content takes up a huge amount of space. So if Apple did offer HD movies, the copy iTunes will transfer to your iPod would be reduced quality.
2) iTunes purchases would not be playable on the component outputs on the iTV. The movie studios would require you use an HDMI connection or something else that supported HDCP to ensure you didn't copy the movie out of the iTunes ecosphere.
As several of us have discussed before, my hope is that iTV will be able to stream all forms of content on my computer, but with particular emphasis on digital media. So if I want to bring a word doc up and type or a movie I am working on in final cut pro, I can do so. Similarly, and with more fully developed components all my digital media can be run on my tv. The goal is to make this experience integrate all the entertainment features we love, but throughout our homes. Quality preservation is essential and I think they will work to ensure that takes place.
The issue here is you're asking your iTV to open other files, in other words, you're asking it to be a regular computer. That isn't going to work because it makes the OS/interface more complicated. A home entertainment component needs to be simple and fast. This is where Apple's embedded OSX rumors would be coming in. Everyone read that and thought about the Apple Phone because that was the hot topic of the week and the was the notion of a PDA Apple phone. But an embedded real-time operating system is just what the iTV needs.
People need to stop comparing the iTV to a Mac Mini, they should thinking of it the same way you think of an XBox compared to a Windows PC. Yeah, they're both made by Microsoft, but the XBox doesn't run Windows, it runs a smaller GUI on top of what is mostly a DirectX back end.
What's funny is the reason people keep thinking of the Mini is because what consumers really want is an Apple DVR, a Mac Mini with a little stronger hardware, no external power supply, and a built in tuner. Add PVR functionality to Front Row and maybe a little bit more expansive remote and you'd have that. But since the Mini isn't expandable, it isn't even possible for a consumer to cobble together the solution themselves from a PCI tuner card and DVR software available, the closest they can do has lots of "extra parts" lying around from the ElGato external tuner, a monitor adapter to give them the connection they need, and the Mini's power supply, and it still would not be as easy to navigate since a keyboard would probably be needed at some point.
So a MacMini wont download and play a HD movie or display a word doc, and you need the iTV to accomplish this basic task?
No, it will do those things, but a MacMini costs $600. Not everyone wants to keep their main computer hooked up to the TV. The iTV allows them to watch their iTunes Store-purchased movies on a larger screen than their regular monitor without moving their computer.
Also, most people don’t need final cut pro or photo shop. So, that’s why I was thinking this could be a basic computer. If not you will need the mac mini to go with it, and why not simply include the iTV with the Mac Mini so you don’t have two devises in a limited shelf space.
The iTV is meant to be an add-on to an existing Macintosh household. Not a self-contained entertainment product like a CableCo box or a PS2.
The idea is the iTV would support more common TV connection methods out of the box, be designed to fit in better aesthetically with home entertainment components, offer better video performance, overall stability, and lower power usage than a MacMini for less.
Is the problem the iTV will address processing the images or scaling them?
I hope so. Maybe it will be upconverting for watching current iTunes movies on an HDTV?

Object-X
Sep 1, 12:08 PM
hopefully it's going to look like this:
56364
I agree, I want an iMac like computer with the aluminum housing; looks better on my desk! ;)
At any rate, hopefully the form factor will be thinner. I can see the 17" eventually being relegated to eMac status.
56364
I agree, I want an iMac like computer with the aluminum housing; looks better on my desk! ;)
At any rate, hopefully the form factor will be thinner. I can see the 17" eventually being relegated to eMac status.
PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 02:21 PM
I think Front Row itself is a bit crippled... I cant even play music in the main menu or when I watch a photo slideshow, exept that default crap!
bob_hearn
Sep 1, 12:43 PM
MacOSXrumors??? There is, if anything, negative correlation between their predictions and reality.
What Apple had damn well BETTER announce then is Merom MacBook Pros. It's inexplicable that they have not done so already.
What Apple had damn well BETTER announce then is Merom MacBook Pros. It's inexplicable that they have not done so already.
ChazUK
Apr 3, 04:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.3; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1103311355; U; en-GB) Presto/2.7.81 Version/11.00)
Infinitely better than the "If you don't have an iPhone" ads.
Really good IMO.
Infinitely better than the "If you don't have an iPhone" ads.
Really good IMO.
thefunkymunky
Aug 7, 08:12 AM
Man, thats not enough.... we need dual Nvidia mobile GPUs with SLI...just like Alienware has! (Each with 512MB, for a total of 1GB video ram!)
Imagine trying to keep those puppies cool.
Imagine trying to keep those puppies cool.
Tmelon
Apr 2, 02:12 PM
You feel like it�s a new experience? So much better?
Well it's still Mac OS X so I can't call it a completely new experience. There's still a menu bar, still a dock, etc. But they've definitely made some improvements. And there's most likely still more to come in terms of speed and stability.
Well it's still Mac OS X so I can't call it a completely new experience. There's still a menu bar, still a dock, etc. But they've definitely made some improvements. And there's most likely still more to come in terms of speed and stability.
KindredMAC
Nov 27, 08:12 PM
If you don't need color accuracy, DO NOT BUY AN APPLE MONITOR, there are cheaper monitors that, though less accurate, will satisfy you just fine.
Funny that you say "accurate" color.....
Anyone ever hear of the "Pinkening" of the Apple displays over the last 2 years? If you haven't then you may have seen it on your trips to the Apple Store.
Apple LCDs have had a nasty habit of having a Pink hue to them that you cannot dial out of the display. Granted, Apple has been pretty good at replacing these models, but it has been a major issue to those it has affected.
True accurate color will only be had by using color calibration units. So with that rebutle I will say that you will be able to achieve "accurate" color with that $250 LCD monitor from Best Buy.
Funny that you say "accurate" color.....
Anyone ever hear of the "Pinkening" of the Apple displays over the last 2 years? If you haven't then you may have seen it on your trips to the Apple Store.
Apple LCDs have had a nasty habit of having a Pink hue to them that you cannot dial out of the display. Granted, Apple has been pretty good at replacing these models, but it has been a major issue to those it has affected.
True accurate color will only be had by using color calibration units. So with that rebutle I will say that you will be able to achieve "accurate" color with that $250 LCD monitor from Best Buy.
Multimedia
Nov 16, 01:43 PM
The bandwidth of DIMMs doesn't really change with their capacity (assuming their timings are the same). It is the number of active channels that gives you the increase in memory bandwidth.
I believe the memory controller will interleave the lower 512MB (since you have a branch populated with 512MB) of each DIMM resulting in full bandwidth access (4 channels) to that range of memory (512 x 4 = 2 GB) with the remainder of the 2 GB DIMMs (the remaining 3 GB) only getting the benefit of a single branch (two channels).
Personally I wouldn't purchase 2 GB DIMMs given their extra cost in relation to two 1 GB DIMMs... in other words use more of the memory slots you have ... unless you really want to leave room to add more RAM later.In this class of RAM the 2GB sticks are now less than two 1GB sticks. So I don't see why buying only 1GB sticks would be advisable any more.
AV was saying that the 512 sticks run half as fast as 1 and 2GB sticks. Is that not correct or did I misunderstand what he meant?
...you dont need 8 cores?? see the 4 cores Mac pro goes down in retail price.It already is the lowest.An unlikely scenario. Don't expect any price drops on mac pros for a long time after clovertown chips are in them.I agree with you 100%. Apple Mac Pro is already the lowest priced Dual Woodcrest product on the market. Dell costs a lot more. So why would you expect Clovertown to impact the price of the existing line that is already at a rock bottom price Alpinism? :confused: :eek:Thats the beauty of going Intel, you dont drop the price ? DELL, HP and the other competitors WILL.Apple started lowest and none of the other vendors followed so your premise is not turning out to be true in the real world. :rolleyes:
To rip DVD's. Why add additional, unnecessary steps?I don't rip DVDs. I rip DVD Images created with Toast from EyeTV broadcast recordings. So it's not an extra step. If you mean why not export direct to mp4 from EyeTV the answer is because they look like C**p. You want a really good looking mp4 file, Handbrake is the only way to go IMHO. And the maximum quality Toast encode to DVD image is also the best way to provide Handbrake with a superior master to rip from.
Anyway that's why what I use is ready for an 8-core Mac Pro now.
I believe the memory controller will interleave the lower 512MB (since you have a branch populated with 512MB) of each DIMM resulting in full bandwidth access (4 channels) to that range of memory (512 x 4 = 2 GB) with the remainder of the 2 GB DIMMs (the remaining 3 GB) only getting the benefit of a single branch (two channels).
Personally I wouldn't purchase 2 GB DIMMs given their extra cost in relation to two 1 GB DIMMs... in other words use more of the memory slots you have ... unless you really want to leave room to add more RAM later.In this class of RAM the 2GB sticks are now less than two 1GB sticks. So I don't see why buying only 1GB sticks would be advisable any more.
AV was saying that the 512 sticks run half as fast as 1 and 2GB sticks. Is that not correct or did I misunderstand what he meant?
...you dont need 8 cores?? see the 4 cores Mac pro goes down in retail price.It already is the lowest.An unlikely scenario. Don't expect any price drops on mac pros for a long time after clovertown chips are in them.I agree with you 100%. Apple Mac Pro is already the lowest priced Dual Woodcrest product on the market. Dell costs a lot more. So why would you expect Clovertown to impact the price of the existing line that is already at a rock bottom price Alpinism? :confused: :eek:Thats the beauty of going Intel, you dont drop the price ? DELL, HP and the other competitors WILL.Apple started lowest and none of the other vendors followed so your premise is not turning out to be true in the real world. :rolleyes:
To rip DVD's. Why add additional, unnecessary steps?I don't rip DVDs. I rip DVD Images created with Toast from EyeTV broadcast recordings. So it's not an extra step. If you mean why not export direct to mp4 from EyeTV the answer is because they look like C**p. You want a really good looking mp4 file, Handbrake is the only way to go IMHO. And the maximum quality Toast encode to DVD image is also the best way to provide Handbrake with a superior master to rip from.
Anyway that's why what I use is ready for an 8-core Mac Pro now.
Consultant
Apr 26, 01:37 PM
Actually, it would 1-Click ;)
In formal writing, one should always write out the words for all numbers one through ten.
"1 click" would be unacceptable in proper English writing.
Therefore, Apple should have done one-click instead of 1-click to avoid licensing issues: ;)
Amazon filed a patent infringement lawsuit in October 1999 in response to Barnes & Noble offering a 1-Click ordering option called "Express Lane." After reviewing the evidence, a judge issued a preliminary injunction ordering Barnes & Noble to stop offering Express Lane until the case was settled.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Click
Apple should get an injunction against App Store knockoffs.
In formal writing, one should always write out the words for all numbers one through ten.
"1 click" would be unacceptable in proper English writing.
Therefore, Apple should have done one-click instead of 1-click to avoid licensing issues: ;)
Amazon filed a patent infringement lawsuit in October 1999 in response to Barnes & Noble offering a 1-Click ordering option called "Express Lane." After reviewing the evidence, a judge issued a preliminary injunction ordering Barnes & Noble to stop offering Express Lane until the case was settled.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Click
Apple should get an injunction against App Store knockoffs.
JGowan
May 3, 01:08 AM
First of all, this looks like this only works when you are in LaunchPad mode so there, it makes perfect sense. I truly doubt the press/hold/jiggle works in the Applications folder, where it would be very out-of-place.
Imagine that Apple did not put in the feature there in LaunchPad which is suppose to be iPad-like... people would come out of the woodwork to piss/moan about how Apple was lame to not unify the process with the press/hold/jiggle.
Secondly, this only works for Apps that have been downloaded from the App store,... this is probably implemented so that when you say YES, delete this, it will then give you an option to rate the App while simply deleting the App with a Command-Delete or a drag to the Trash would not invoke such a Rating option.
Thirdly, it's not like Apple is taking away the other options of trashing an App. Use the method that you're like and MYOB and STHU. Honestly.
50% of Mac buyers are new users so they're use to this from iPhones/iPads/iPods. Let them be comfortable. I've been on a Mac since 1995 but I realize that Apple needs to help switchers be comfortable. All the changes to Mac OS X that I've seen so far, I'm really looking forward. If you don't want 'em. Don't upgrade. Oh... and STHU.
Imagine that Apple did not put in the feature there in LaunchPad which is suppose to be iPad-like... people would come out of the woodwork to piss/moan about how Apple was lame to not unify the process with the press/hold/jiggle.
Secondly, this only works for Apps that have been downloaded from the App store,... this is probably implemented so that when you say YES, delete this, it will then give you an option to rate the App while simply deleting the App with a Command-Delete or a drag to the Trash would not invoke such a Rating option.
Thirdly, it's not like Apple is taking away the other options of trashing an App. Use the method that you're like and MYOB and STHU. Honestly.
50% of Mac buyers are new users so they're use to this from iPhones/iPads/iPods. Let them be comfortable. I've been on a Mac since 1995 but I realize that Apple needs to help switchers be comfortable. All the changes to Mac OS X that I've seen so far, I'm really looking forward. If you don't want 'em. Don't upgrade. Oh... and STHU.
blybug
Jan 12, 06:30 PM
Thing is it would have to be cheap enough for a hospital to give out to all the doctors and such (I think we're using Epic now or something).
Well, not to be completely selfish, but I'm just talking about getting one for me. All the other doctors are on their own :rolleyes:
But yeah...a trimmed down OSX could still run a Citrix client, which is how I access EPIC directly from my Mac currently. Would be even smoother than VNC or Back to my Mac. However I anticipate that if there is a slim tablet style device that some kinda way it has to have some sort of screen sharing built in, that way even though it is thin (physically AND specification-wise), you can still do big things with it via your remote machine. I mean Leopard's Back to my Mac feature is just screaming to be officially on an iPhone and/or somewhat larger-screened device.
Maybe that's really what's "in the air"....your home/office computer (PC or Mac) and everything on it is now beamed to your tablet wirelessly. The AirBook is really little more than a WiFi screen.
Well, not to be completely selfish, but I'm just talking about getting one for me. All the other doctors are on their own :rolleyes:
But yeah...a trimmed down OSX could still run a Citrix client, which is how I access EPIC directly from my Mac currently. Would be even smoother than VNC or Back to my Mac. However I anticipate that if there is a slim tablet style device that some kinda way it has to have some sort of screen sharing built in, that way even though it is thin (physically AND specification-wise), you can still do big things with it via your remote machine. I mean Leopard's Back to my Mac feature is just screaming to be officially on an iPhone and/or somewhat larger-screened device.
Maybe that's really what's "in the air"....your home/office computer (PC or Mac) and everything on it is now beamed to your tablet wirelessly. The AirBook is really little more than a WiFi screen.
No comments:
Post a Comment